ONTAP Discussions

NAPP Simulator root volume spent all space

Wencheng

Hi All

I netapp 9.8 simulator for testing , then I disable snap and set autodelete.

3 days later , it show rool volume Low Space (< 10MB) I try to expand root volume , and try to reboot to check ...it show root volume work property need recovery...

because this simulator only test CIFS function (customer place 10 picture/txt files on SVM which location another tier). no other action for simulator...

Who know that I could set to let root volume usage could be less ??

Thanks!!

Wencheng

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

I see that your root aggr still has 1.8GB available, you can give 1GB to your vol0.

Command:
::> node run -node <node>
node-01> vol size vol0 +1g

This will extend the vol0 by additional 1GB, that will help to keep it working.

To confirm the newly sized space:
node-01> df -hg vol0

Apart from this, you can look at the article to manage your vol0.
https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap/system-admin/free-space-node-root-volume-task.html

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ontapforrum

Please note, this is a known information that the Cluster Node cannot operate properly when its root volume is full. You can free up space on a node’s root volume by deleting core dump files, packet trace files, and root volume Snapshot copies.

However, b'cos this is a Simulator, it is very important to size-it-well while you are building the Simulator. Once it is out-of-space on the root_volume (vol0), it may not be possible at times to even re-size it. Therefore, always size-it-well, and once you have a healthy working simulator, take a snapshot so that you can revert it if anything happens that may crash the Simulator. There is plenty of information on internet, netapp kb, documentation  & forums discussing about this.

My Simulator vol0 is sized to :6GB. Could you tell me what is the total space of the Vol0 in your Simulator ?

Wencheng

Hi

My simulator has been set snap autodelete and space use 20...(but like core dump or trace file , sorry I do not know how to clear. I just a new guy for netapp)

There are my aggr show and volum show screenshots.

Wencheng

Ontapforrum

I see that your root aggr still has 1.8GB available, you can give 1GB to your vol0.

Command:
::> node run -node <node>
node-01> vol size vol0 +1g

This will extend the vol0 by additional 1GB, that will help to keep it working.

To confirm the newly sized space:
node-01> df -hg vol0

Apart from this, you can look at the article to manage your vol0.
https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap/system-admin/free-space-node-root-volume-task.html

Public