ONTAP Discussions

NFS AUDIT LOG ENABLING

Netapp_maniac

Hello Folks ,

Can someone guide how to enable audit logs for CIFS shares  on Ontap CVO ?

Do it has to be NFS/CIFS audit enabling ? It is different for NFS and CIFS ?

Thanks in Advance !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Fabian1993

Depends on the System that you want to use to viewing the logs..

You can mount the volume to look into the logfiles..

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Fabian1993

Hey Dude,

the Guide what you are looking for is this: https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/topic/com.netapp.doc.dot-cifs-nfs-audit/home.html , but are you using CVO Service or the fully CVO?

Netapp_maniac

Could you please help me understand what will be the unix path name as per below command :

vserver audit create -vserver <vserver> -destination <unix path> -rotate-size <size>

Thanks !!

Fabian1993

You have to create a volume for the log. Than you have to mount the Volume under junction path.

Example for the Command

vserver audit create -vserver vs1 -destination /audit_log

Netapp_maniac

Volume security style has to be NTFS OR UNIX ?

So will the logs be available in windows/unix machine when the volume is mounted to it ?

Thanks !!

Fabian1993

Depends on the System that you want to use to viewing the logs..

You can mount the volume to look into the logfiles..

Netapp_maniac

Thank you ! This has helped me 🙂

Netapp_maniac

How can i view logs from unix machine using windows event viewer ?

FelixZhou

you have to install NFS client for Windows to review any NFS export.

FelixZhou

CIFS/NFS auditing is not enabled by default, you have to enable it on each SVM, as best practice, redirect the audit log to a different small volume, set up log size and rotation.  for CIFS, you can use Window evnetviewer to trace the logs.

For detailed audit request, third party auditing application is required since by native, either NetApp or windows doesn't have enough function/convince to audit CIFS shares.

Netapp_maniac

I have an issue here , when enabled audit log for ntfs clients . I am able to access share(\auditlog) from client machine but unable to view from the logs from eventviewer. when i am trying to open , it says "A device attached to the system is not functioning "

Thanks in advance 

Reverett

Hello,

The below kb document has great step by step instructions as well as examples for what different types of audits would look like:

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/How_to_enable_auditing_of_NFS_events_on_clustered_Data_ONTAP

Sgoyal696

@Netapp_maniac  @Reverett  @FelixZhou  @Fabian1993 

How to access this event log using PowerShell scriot to find user infor , who accessed a share.

My task is i have to find who accessedd a share and when.

Public