ONTAP Discussions

NetApp FAS2552 Aggregate and Disk

edlam2000

I have a FAS2552 having 2 shelf with:-

1)  Shelf 0 having 4 x SSD + 20 x SAS 10kRPM 1TB Disk

2)  Shelf 1 having 12 x SAS 10k RPM 1 TB Disk

Our Vendor has configured aggregates for us, however, I notice the following:-

1) What is the difference between Disk Container Type of Aggregate and Shared??

2) I find that some disks belong to 2 aggregates, is it ok and what is the reason behind??

3) Is it ok to have a disk belong to 3 aggregates???

4) I notice that one disk is not spare and is not assigned to any aggregate but is Container Type Shared, is it normal???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

So 1.0.23 is used as spare for both root and data partitions. 1.0.22 has one spare partition (root). Both partitions are independent, so one can be used as part of aggregate and another can be used as spare.

Did you try to read documentation about ADP and disk pools and do you have specific question about documentation content?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

DaemonFF

ADP (advanced disk partitioning) is a key for Your search.

In short, begining from cDOT 8.3 NetApp offers for small (25xx) and all-flash systems new capability - advanced disk partitioning: the root aggregate uses one part of disks that installed in head shelf, the other (data) aggregates use another. When disk is partitioned, it is included into two (and only two! no more) aggregates (container type - SHARED). If disk isn't partitioned (not head shelf's disks in this case), it is included only in one aggregate (container type - AGGREGATE). When ADP is in use the all disks in head shelf are SHARED any time.

aborzenkov

1. Shared is partitioned disk. Look in documentation for ADP (Advanced Disk Partition). In summary - disk is divided in two partitions and each partition can be used independently as part of aggregate (or pool, but that's another story).

2. Yes, each partition can be part of separate aggregate.

3. Not really. For SSD disks in FlashPool you can split disks in 4 partitions, but they are added to disk pools, not disk aggregates.

4. Yes. Disk should be automatically partitioned as needed when used for disk replacement.

edlam2000

Thanks, could you elaborate more detail for disk replacement.

I find that my Shelf 0 Disk 23 of Container Type Shared has NOT been assigned to any Aggregate and is NOT a spare.

Does it mean that the Vendor has missed to placing this disk into an Aggregate or is this disk been left for Disk Replacement purpose?

I thought only a Spare Disk can be designated for Disk Replacement.

aborzenkov

Paste output of "storage aggregate show-spare-disks"

edlam2000

Output is as follow:-

What's the difference between Spare Pool and Paritioned Spares???

Also, I find that the below 1.0.22, a Partitioned Spare, already has a Data Aggregate assigned to it, so how can it possibly be a Spare?????

WTTPLFR02::> storage aggregate show-spare-disks

Original Owner: WTTPLFR02-C01
Pool0
Spare Pool

Usable Physical
Disk Type RPM Checksum Size Size Status
--------------------------- ----- ------ -------------- -------- -------- --------
1.0.3 SSD - block 745.0GB 745.2GB zeroed

Pool0
Partitioned Spares
Local Local
Data Root Physical
Disk Type RPM Checksum Usable Usable Size Status
--------------------------- ----- ------ -------------- -------- -------- -------- --------
1.0.23 SAS 10000 block 1.03TB 61.58GB 1.09TB zeroed

Original Owner: WTTPLFR02-C02
Pool0
Spare Pool

Press <space> to page down, <return> for next line, or 'q' to quit...

WTTPLFR02::> storage aggregate show-spare-disks

Pool0
Spare Pool

Usable Physical
--------------------------- ----- ------ -------------- -------- -------- --------
1.0.3 SSD - block 745.0GB 745.2GB zeroed

Pool0
Partitioned Spares
Local Local
Data Root Physical
--------------------------- ----- ------ -------------- -------- -------- -------- --------
1.0.23 SAS 10000 block 1.03TB 61.58GB 1.09TB zeroed

Pool0
Spare Pool

Usable Physical
1.1.11 SAS 10000 block 1.09TB 1.09TB zeroed

Pool0
Partitioned Spares
Local Local
Data Root Physical
1.0.22 SAS 10000 block 0B 61.58GB 1.09TB zeroed
4 entries were displayed.

WTTPLFR02::>

aborzenkov

So 1.0.23 is used as spare for both root and data partitions. 1.0.22 has one spare partition (root). Both partitions are independent, so one can be used as part of aggregate and another can be used as spare.

Did you try to read documentation about ADP and disk pools and do you have specific question about documentation content?

Public