ONTAP Discussions

SVMDR test and access data on target system

RamManu

I have svmdr setup for my source and destination vservers with identity preserve true. But now before cutover/failover to my target I would like to access the data on the target machine. Is this doable? currently my target vserver is not running as its in svmdr relationship also all network and cifs smb nfs shares info are replicated.

So, one way I think I can break the snapmirror, set a dummy ip and bring the vserver back online on the target system. But doing so it will join the domain and I think that would cause issues with the actual source vserver access, correct? so what is the best way if there is one to access data on target svmdr without failing over and impacting my source/prod vserver?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Migo

This will work for CIFS/SMB, although you have to join the newly created "access-test-svm" to the domain. However this will be a separate CIFS server with its own AD object. 
You would also have to create new shares with the required permissions since those will not be copied with "vol clone"
For my customers, if we are not sure if the network is configured correctly at the destination (DR-Datacenter, I simply create a dummy SVM on the destination, enable CIFS, join it to the domain and check access. 
If this works, I’m confident that SVM-DR will also work in case of a disaster.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ontapforrum

Check this:
https://community.netapp.com/t5/ONTAP-Recipes/ONTAP-Recipes-Test-SVM-DR-destination-disaster-recovery-without-breaking/td-p/147770

I haven't tested this, but glancing through, looks like it allows you to create a separate vserver (to host the cloned volume), guessing this way it will not create problem even if its joined AD Domain ?

RamManu

Thanks for the information. I think this would help test access without breaking replication for NFS exports but I don't see how different it would be for cifs since it has to join AD domain to access. 

Ontapforrum

Yes, that should also work for CIFS/SMB.

Migo

This will work for CIFS/SMB, although you have to join the newly created "access-test-svm" to the domain. However this will be a separate CIFS server with its own AD object. 
You would also have to create new shares with the required permissions since those will not be copied with "vol clone"
For my customers, if we are not sure if the network is configured correctly at the destination (DR-Datacenter, I simply create a dummy SVM on the destination, enable CIFS, join it to the domain and check access. 
If this works, I’m confident that SVM-DR will also work in case of a disaster.

Public