ONTAP Discussions

SnapDrive problem - unable to find API

SEJ

Hi everyone,

We are currently deploying a new backup solution for our service, for a better render of Hyper-V backups and I had some trouble with SnapDrive. Note that the snapdrive account has admin rights on my netapp filer.

The problem occurs when I want to create a LUN with the "Create Disk Wizard", the first step is to add the Storage System so I put the storage system name then I press "Add" and bam I always get the same error "Failed to retrieve the root volume name from the storage system (xxxxxx). Error code : 13005. Error description :  Unable to find API : volume-get-root-name". I already checked on my storage system that the root volume exists and he does. 

So I'm requesting your help guys, maybe be some of you already experienced that.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ghislanzoni

I think the problem is here.

You must use the vsadmin user of the SVM where you want to create the LUN and the name of the SVM that is resolved by the DNS to the management LIF of the SVM.

If this step is not completed it doesn't work.

Regards

Roberto 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

ghislanzoni

Hi,

if you are in Cdot environment in the storage controller info of the SnapDrive you must enter the ip/user about the SVM that you are tring to log in.

So if you have a management lif of the SVM you must put in that ip.

Please tell me if this works successfully.

Regards

Roberto

SEJ

Yes, you're right we are in a clustered environment, I already registered those informations in SnapDrive but nothing changes.  And we don't have management LIFs, so i'm kind of blocked 😕

ghislanzoni

Hi,

you can try to follow these documents to do the correct procedure:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1804825

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1014912&actp=RSS

Let me know

Regards

Roberto

PS. Pay attention to the correct username vsadmin and not admin

PS2. Also the PTR record in DNS is needed

georgevj

This could be because of a BUG - 786228

More details here.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=2019826

If you cannot access this, please open a support case and refer to this KB ID 2019826.

The procedure involves privileged commands that has to be executed under guidance from NetApp support.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Cannot find the answer you need? No need to open a support case - just CHAT and we’ll handle it for you.

SEJ

@georgevj wrote:

This could be because of a BUG - 786228

More details here.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=2019826

If you cannot access this, please open a support case and refer to this KB ID 2019826.

The procedure involves privileged commands that has to be executed under guidance from NetApp support.

Hi,

thanks for your answer, unfortunately when I tried to open a case, it says that I can't because of my contract expired.

@ghislanzoni

I followed both of the procedures and I always got the same message.

georgevj

Oh. That sounds sad, but I hope you can still get the contract renewed.?

However, just to make sure that this is the issue, please try the following commands from cluster shell: (NB: login to the node management interface of each node separately and run these commands on every node.)

CLUSTER1::> set diag

CLUSTER1::*> debug smdb table cluster_cj_status show
create-join can-switch complete message                   cluster-uuid                         sitelist-uuid
----------- ---------- -------- ------------------------- ------------------------------------ ------------------------------------
join        no         no       "Past point of no return" ce9d7980-c799-11e2-9fcd-123478563412 ce9d7980-c799-11e2-9fcd-123478563412

If you see a 'no' under the "complete" header, this is the issue. Then you will have to rejoin that node back to the cluster. I would not post the instructions here, since it has to be run in realtime, seeing the response of each command. Especially if this is under production. 

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Cannot find the answer you need? No need to open a support case - just CHAT and we’ll handle it for you.

SEJ

@georgevj wrote:

Oh. That sounds sad, but I hope you can still get the contract renewed.?

However, just to make sure that this is the issue, please try the following commands from cluster shell: (NB: login to the node management interface of each node separately and run these commands on every node.)

CLUSTER1::> set diag

CLUSTER1::*> debug smdb table cluster_cj_status show
create-join can-switch complete message                   cluster-uuid                         sitelist-uuid
----------- ---------- -------- ------------------------- ------------------------------------ ------------------------------------
join        no         no       "Past point of no return" ce9d7980-c799-11e2-9fcd-123478563412 ce9d7980-c799-11e2-9fcd-123478563412

If you see a 'no' under the "complete" header, this is the issue. Then you will have to rejoin that node back to the cluster. I would not post the instructions here, since it has to be run in realtime, seeing the response of each command. Especially if this is under production. 

Thanks for the fast answer, so I run the command over all nodes separately and fortunately I got "yes" on all nodes, but unfortunately it doesn't tell us the problem though.

ghislanzoni

Do you have already completed the documents that I 've posted in the first answers?

I think that the solution is inside it.

Regards

Roberto

SEJ

@ghislanzoni wrote:

Do you have already completed the documents that I 've posted in the first answers?

I think that the solution is inside it.

Regards

Roberto

Yes, the vsadmin is unlocked, the data LIF and management LIF are correctly configured, here's the firewall policy :

firewall.png

ghislanzoni

How you configure the integration, of the SVM, in the SnapDrive Transport Protocol Settings?

Can you post a screenshot please.

Regards

Roberto 

SEJ

@ghislanzoni wrote:

How you configure the integration, of the SVM, in the SnapDrive Transport Protocol Settings?

Can you post a screenshot please.

Regards

Roberto 

TCS.PNG

I use the admin account because for some reasons the dedicated user created for this purpose didn't reach the storage system. 

ghislanzoni

You must use the vsadmin user of the SVM where you want to create the LUN and the name of the SVM that is resolved by the DNS to the management LIF of the SVM.

Regards

Roberto 

SEJ

@ghislanzoni wrote:

Regards

Roberto 

Thanks a lot man, that solved the problem.

georgevj

Then its a different issue.. will try to see if there is any other possibilities.

Public