ONTAP Discussions

Snaplock compliance clock different from system clock

yb_benjamin

Hello, 

We have a snaplock compliance clock that differs from the system clock, what could be the reasons of that ? 

I think it's approximately an hour of difference. Is there any possibility to reset it to the system clock ? 

Thanks in advance ! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mjizzini

Like Alex mentioned, Snaplock's compliance clock cannot be modified.

SnapLock feature in ONTAP 9

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AlexDawson

Hi there!

Snaplock's compliance clock cannot be modified at all under any circumstances with data in place.

As far as potential causes, I can only guess - maybe the system clock was wrong or in the wrong timezone when the snaplock aggr was created.

Thanks!

yb_benjamin

Hi, 

Yes, it looks obvious.. 

I found on an another community post : 

"the CC can slip time at a very slow rate to catch up (think around a week per *year*) - mainly to avoid malicious hands messing with data."

Could it be also a reason ? 

Mjizzini

Like Alex mentioned, Snaplock's compliance clock cannot be modified.

SnapLock feature in ONTAP 9

anton_oks

some years ago we had a similar problem. the finding then was, it happened because we had set some volumes offline for some time. seems like the compliance time also stops.... seems logical as SnaopLock need to make some guarantees, right?

if this is still the case, you nowadays need to be careful also with "vol destroys"... because, if I remember it correct, ONTAP keeps those destroyed volumes in a queue for some time... maybe that "queue time" is the hour in your case / settings?! so all together, that would explain it...

Public