ONTAP Discussions

Unable to access cifs shares

Fredric

Hi,

I have a strange problem.

I have started migrate volumes to a new cluster via snapmirror.

After broken off the snapmirror relationship, the volume gets RW and I create a junction path to use for the cifs share.

Even if I give the share Everyone, I'm unable to access to share. I can see the share from the Explorer, but not accessing it. It worked before the migration. Even stranger gets it when I tried to create a new volume/share on the new cluster. I get the same problem, but some test share I created just after installation of the cluster works fine. The only thing I have done is upgrading ontap to 9.13.1.P2. I think it was 9.12-something before upgrading it.

I can't find anything that differ between the share that works and do who doesn't work.

Any ideas? I have a case, but the respond time is slow (prio 3).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES 5

Ontapforrum

Check 2 basic things to start with:

1.  Ensure Time (date) on your FILER (new cluster) is within 5 minute deviation from the AD Server.
  2. Is the flexvol (R/W) security style marked as NTFS ?  (A FlexVol volume inherits the security style of the root volume of its containing SVM) so make sure it is not 'unix', and if so change it to 'ntfs'?

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap/smb-admin/configure-security-styles-task.html

Configure security styles on FlexVol volumes (netapp.com)

Fredric
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
All volumes are ntfs security style. The SVM has root security style.

//Fredric

John_Kolacz

That's an interesting problem.

My first step would be to follow the troubleshooting guide

https://kb.netapp.com/onprem/ontap/da/NAS/Troubleshooting_CIFS_or_SMB_access_denied

After you eliminate all the possible causes in that guide, you're ready to escalate with netapp because that is what your first support person is going to do.

John Kolacz
Lead Systems Architect

Fredric

I did resolve the problem. After every time a create a new volume/share(not NFSv4), I must update the snapmirror load balancing for the root volume.

"snapmirror update-ls-set -S //svm_name/svm_name_root"

After that it works fine, but I don't really know why it's needed, I have never done that on my other Netapp clusters. 

Public