ONTAP Discussions

rc file in netapp

DHAKSHINAMOORTHY_B

Hi All,

what is the purpose of rdfile /etc/rc? rc stands for what?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HARI_KRISHNA981

Hi Balasubramanian,

rdfile /etc/rc is a command used for reading the contents of the system file \etc\rc. Startup commands for your storage system are stored in the /etc/rc file. The /etc/rc file contains commands that the storage system executes at boot time to configure the system.

Refer 165 page in the attached document for more information.

Regards,

Hari

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

HARI_KRISHNA981

Hi Balasubramanian,

rdfile /etc/rc is a command used for reading the contents of the system file \etc\rc. Startup commands for your storage system are stored in the /etc/rc file. The /etc/rc file contains commands that the storage system executes at boot time to configure the system.

Refer 165 page in the attached document for more information.

Regards,

Hari

BALAJI_VENKATRAMAN

Hi Balasubramanian,

BY common sense I can figure out that RC stands for Running configurations..

Any new changes needed on the filer configuration - be it options ,vlan additions,routed etc need to be updated here.

Note that if you want the changes to take effect - you need to re-read the RC file once again or else it will not show up on the filer.

Two ways of bringing the new configuration into effect - either reboot the node where you have done the changes ("reboot" command or NDU TO/GB ) and second one is using "source" command which will bring the changes into effect immediately.

Symtax is - filer-prompt> source /etc/rc.

HOpe this helps

Balaji

DHAKSHINAMOORTHY_B

Hi Balaji,

I came to know RC stands "runtime configuration." Thanks.

aborzenkov

BY common sense I can figure out that RC stands for Running configurations..

Actually "rc" originates in first version of UNIX and stands for "run commands" (or more precisely, from old utility "runcom" at the time UNIX was created).

Public