ONTAP Hardware

Restoring to Factory Defaults

MURRAYCH1

I'm looking to find out what the proper procedure is for resetting a NetApp system to factory defaults.  Here's the story:

(First of all, understand I'm new to NetApp systems so have goofed here)

New NetApp FAS3210 HA system, with a single DS4243 shelf (24 x 300GB SAS).  From the factory it came with the disks auto-assigned (12 to each controller).  As I'm looking to expand this over the next year with more disks (some SAS, some SATA) I made the decision to serve SAS off one controller and SATA off the other.  So, I reassigned the spare disks from Controller B to Controller A, and ended up with 21 disks assigned to Controller A (the other 3 hold the default aggregate for Controller B, that's fine for now).

I expanded Aggr0 using System Manager to use all the remaining disks (leaving 1 hotspare).  It was at this point that I became educated in Raid Groups, and why not to do this through System Manager.  I ended up with an rg0 of 16 disks (the default size) and a second raid group consisting of 4 disks (2 parity, 2 data).  This offends me greatly, and as I have learned there is no easy way to undo this action (especially since I made the choice to expand Aggr0 as opposed to creating a new aggregate).  Chalk it up to inexperience.

There is no data on this system; I would like to figure out how to restore it to the factory defaults somehow.  If that means blowing everything away and reinstalling Data ONTAP, so be it.  I just don't know where to look for the procedures.

Hoping there might be a way to back up the Ontap config and restore it afterwards, but that's not critical. 

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rorzmcgauze

You will need a serial connection to the box (or SP) then reboot the system. Now keep an eye on the reboot it will look something like this ( fas2040 running 7.3.5.1 incase your interested)

AMI BIOS8 Modular BIOS

Copyright (C) 1985-2009,  American Megatrends, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Portions Copyright (C) 2009 NetApp, Inc. All Rights Reserved

BIOS Version 6.1

Boot Loader version 2.1

Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Broadcom Corporation.

Portions Copyright (C) 2002-2008 NetApp

4096MB RAM installed

CPU Type: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU                  @ 1.66GHz

Starting AUTOBOOT press Ctrl-C to abort...

Loading X86_ELF/kernel/primary.krn:.......0x200000/44423284 0x2c5d874/14476988 0x3a2bf30/1414090 0x3b852fa/6 Entry at 0x00200000

Starting program at 0x00200000

Press CTRL-C for special boot menu

Press Ctrl and C together to bring up the special boot Menu at this very moment.

Next you will have 5 potentially dangerous options so be careful.

To factory reset you will select 4a - same as 4 but with flexible volume.  This step will take several hours to complete and it will draw ...... to the console.

Once completed you will be taken to the inital setup menu. Any data that was on the other disks assigned to this controller will have to be zeroed with cmd

disk zero spares (again takes a while to complete)

I would then suggest you carry out an upgrade to the ONTAP with the same version as you are currently running, just to make sure the system has built everything correctly. If you upgrade before the zeroing completes you will have to start it off again so I usually upgrade (reboots) then zero.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

MURRAYCH1

FYI, Ontap version is 8.0.2.

rorzmcgauze

You will need a serial connection to the box (or SP) then reboot the system. Now keep an eye on the reboot it will look something like this ( fas2040 running 7.3.5.1 incase your interested)

AMI BIOS8 Modular BIOS

Copyright (C) 1985-2009,  American Megatrends, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Portions Copyright (C) 2009 NetApp, Inc. All Rights Reserved

BIOS Version 6.1

Boot Loader version 2.1

Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Broadcom Corporation.

Portions Copyright (C) 2002-2008 NetApp

4096MB RAM installed

CPU Type: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU                  @ 1.66GHz

Starting AUTOBOOT press Ctrl-C to abort...

Loading X86_ELF/kernel/primary.krn:.......0x200000/44423284 0x2c5d874/14476988 0x3a2bf30/1414090 0x3b852fa/6 Entry at 0x00200000

Starting program at 0x00200000

Press CTRL-C for special boot menu

Press Ctrl and C together to bring up the special boot Menu at this very moment.

Next you will have 5 potentially dangerous options so be careful.

To factory reset you will select 4a - same as 4 but with flexible volume.  This step will take several hours to complete and it will draw ...... to the console.

Once completed you will be taken to the inital setup menu. Any data that was on the other disks assigned to this controller will have to be zeroed with cmd

disk zero spares (again takes a while to complete)

I would then suggest you carry out an upgrade to the ONTAP with the same version as you are currently running, just to make sure the system has built everything correctly. If you upgrade before the zeroing completes you will have to start it off again so I usually upgrade (reboots) then zero.

MURRAYCH1

Thank you, worked perfectly.

MURRAYCH1

MURRAYCH1

Tolga_Yilmaz

With option 4 i can just flash the system but the network ip addresses that i gave still stays on the system. So even name of the clustered still stays.. It didnt erase all system configuration.

aborzenkov

See KB 1014631 for procedure to reinitialize clustered mode filer.

You should really open new thread instead of piggy back on question which is 4 years old and applies to completely different environment.

Public