ONTAP Hardware

What's Quad-path used for?

River

Hi All :

I am install FAS9000, is there any know what's Quad-path  used for? Only more safety?  Should I cable as Quad-path  right now?

I study the document "Installation and Cabling Guide for DS460C, DS224C, and DS212C" but only got cable rules and got no answer to use Quad-path HA cabling.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

andris

Hi River,

While quad-path HA provides additional path resiliency, the main purpose for the additional cabling is to double the I/O bandwidth to the SAS3 storage stack.

Configuring the storage stack with quad-path HA and double-wide intrastack connections is optional.  All-SSD storage stacks can benefit from the increased bandwidth, especially for

for large block (e.g. 64KB) sequential read streaming workloads.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

hariprak

Hi,

Hope this helps https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2485106

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

mpedigo_usda

Document no longer exists.  Please fix the link.

River

please take  p.53  as reference.

§Quad Path cabling recommended for large block, 64k or larger, sequential read workloads

§Multipath HA sufficient for other workloads

(Potential NDA flagged attachment removed by admin)

ShivaR

Earlier SAS connectivity from shelf to controller used to have multipath which has 4 paths. Now it is an optional you can connect quad-path which means 8 paths from controllers to shelfs.

andris

Hi River,

While quad-path HA provides additional path resiliency, the main purpose for the additional cabling is to double the I/O bandwidth to the SAS3 storage stack.

Configuring the storage stack with quad-path HA and double-wide intrastack connections is optional.  All-SSD storage stacks can benefit from the increased bandwidth, especially for

for large block (e.g. 64KB) sequential read streaming workloads.

River

Hi Andris:

Thanks for your answer.

I just think in the same way, as take AFF700 document as reference, Quad-path should be use in AFF solutions just in case of bandwith bottleneck.

andris

Sure... If you don't want to peruse performance graphs/counters (e.g. via OnCommand Performance Manager) to check the storage utilization percentage or worry about specific workloads, going with Quad-Path cabling for AFF storage is a great rule of thumb.  There's just the minor extra costs of using extra HBA ports and cables.

Public