ONTAP Hardware

ems.snmp.parse.error:Warning - Please Help !

asaf_yehuda

Hi

Been almost 6 months since implemented FAS2040(active/active) 7.3.4, and recently i have been getting tones ! of these messages on my syslog:

netapp01: ems.snmp.parse.error:warning]: build objid: bad header, length too short: 0 < 16
netapp01: ems.engine.inputSuppress:warning]: Event 'ems.snmp.parse.error' suppressed 5 times since Wed May 18 14:00:11 IDT 2011.
netapp01: ems.snmp.parse.error:warning]: build objid: bad header, length too short: 0 < 16
netapp01: ems.engine.inputSuppress:warning]: Event 'ems.snmp.parse.error' suppressed 7 times since Wed May 18 14:10:15 IDT 2011.
netapp01: ems.engine.inputSuppress:warning]: Event 'ems.snmp.parse.error' suppressed 5 times since Wed May 18 14:20:15 IDT 2011.
netapp01: ems.snmp.parse.error:warning]: Can't build OID for variable

It's beeing going like crazy, my log is absulotly full with these.. I was looking on NOW and google and nothing seem to be logged for this error. even the event log analyzer give no clue on the problem.

Both controllers seem to have the same problem.

No Traps are configured on either of them

snmp has only one community i need for the System manager connection.

Thanks in advance for the help.

5 REPLIES 5

peterpanxiii

Could be a network management system trying to pull snmp data from the NetApp filer.

This is what syslog translator proposes:

'An agent is incorrectly communicating with the system using SNMP. Find and disable or correct this agent. An Ethernet "sniffer" might be required to identify the client source that is sending the unsupported or incorrect SNMP request.'

HTH

Peter

asaf_yehuda

Thanks,

I have been "sniffing" my net for almost week, no SNMP traffice go to my filers.. I will try to disable SNMP and check for the errors .

thigian007

Has anyone found an answer to this? I'm having the same issue.

Thanks for any info.

KHANG_HAVAN

This can be solve by work around : disable SNMP or upgrade Data ONTAP . You can check following link

http://support.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=344812

Thomas_K

Hi,

same error message on our Netapp with 8.2.3P2 since we monitor our Filers via Nagios/Check_MK and SNMP

http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=344812 should it be fixed but isn´t.

a possible workaround is to edit the /etc/syslog.conf and let the messages log to file and not to console.

CU

Tom

Public