ONTAP Recipes: Upgrade existing version of ONTAP while retaining Data Protection relationships
2017-08-10 04:42 PM
ONTAP Recipes: Did you know you can…?
Easily upgrade your existing version of ONTAP while retaining Data Protection (SnapMirror, SnapVault, Unified Replication) relationships
Before upgrading a cluster that is running a Data Protection relationship, the operation must be suspended for each node that contains destination volumes.
Please ensure that ONTAP destination version follow the criteria below:
- For SnapMirror (DP relationships), the destination node must use an ONTAP version that is equal to or later than that of the SnapMirror source node.
- SnapMirror, SnapVault and Unified Replications (XDP relationships) are version-flexible relationships and can support up to two releases difference (up or down) between the source and the destination nodes.
1. Suspend all transfer operations
Instead, if you want to suspend transfers on a particular destination node and only upgrade that node:
- First find the relationships
- Next, suspend the individual transfers
snapmirror quiesce –destination-path <destination>
2. To find which of the SnapMirror relationships are not quiesced
snapmirror show -status !Quiesced
Pleas note, the relationships with ongoing transfers are not quiesced immediately. The transfer completes and then the relationship status goes to ‘Quiesced’.
However, if you need the relationships to be immediately quiesced, the transfers for those ongoing relationships can be stopped.
snapmirror abort –destination-path <destination> -h
3. Upgrade the destination node/cluster
4. Upgrade the source node/cluster
5. Resume the transfer operations
Individual transfer can be resumed with
snapmirror resume –destination-path <destination>
6. To verify that your relationship is not suspended
snapmirror show –status Quiesced
For each SnapMirror relationship that is configured to run on a schedule, you should verify that the first scheduled SnapMirror transfer completes successfully.
For more information, see the ONTAP 9 documentation center
1 REPLY 1
Re: ONTAP Recipes: Upgrade existing version of ONTAP while retaining Data Protection relationships
2017-08-31 03:00 AM
Thanks for sharing this information
If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.