Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Additional "Data Source"

CHRISTIAN_UMREIN

Hi all,

is there a way to add a new data source driver type?

I need to connect to postgreSQL databases.

Thanks,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sinhaa

Chris,

Extract the file in .dar and then Import it. I think you are trying to Import .zip file itself.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

sinhaa

Chris,

As of 2.1RC1 there is no way to add a new DataSourc driver type. However I think you can create a new Data source type with Method: Script and Script language : Power Shell and acquire a Post GreSQL Database. I've not tried it, but I think it should be possible.

There is a VC datasource which which uses Method Type script, it perhaps can help you in how to do it. Powershell Modules to connect to PostgreSQL are available.

Let me know how it worked for you. If I get a working one myself done, I'll post it here.

warm regards,

Abhishek

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

yaronh

Hi Christian,

I was about the offer the same solution as Abhishek. Also found a code snippet to explain how to connect to PostgreSQL:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9217650/connect-to-remote-postgresql-database-using-powershell

Cheers,

Yaron

sinhaa

Hello Chris and Yaron,

I was able to create a new Datasource type which can connect Postgre SQL Database and acquire the Data in WFA successfully.

( Don't bother about the code http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9217650/connect-to-remote-postgresql-database-using-powershell  here, it doesn't work. )

1. For the POC and demo, I'm using a sample database dvdrental which I found here : http://www.postgresqltutorial.com/postgresql-sample-database/

2. Unzip it and import the dvdrental.tar

C:\>cd C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\bin

C:\>pg_restore -U postgres -d dvdrental C:\temp\dvdrental.tar

3. Install PostGre SQL ODBC Driver. https://code.google.com/p/visionmap/downloads/list  on your WFA server. Download and install the setup_psqlODBC_x64_8.3.4.0.exe.

4. Configure you Postgre SQL server for receiving connection from any outsider host. (By default it only takes requests from localhost) . Modify the pg_hba.conf file in data folder and make the following entries.

host    all  

postgres     0.0.0.0/0  

trust
host    all  

postgres     0.0.0.0/0  

md5

Restart the Postgresql service ( using PGAdmin  or CLI or Windows services)

5. On WFA server, Go to "Control Panel" => 'Administrative Tools' and find 'Data sources (ODBC) . Double click to open the ODBC Datasource Administrator.

4. Tab 'User DSN' => Add. Select the PostGreSQL 64-Bit ODBC Drivers.

5. Provide the details and Test. Connection should succeed and then only can it work.

6. Open the WFA server in a browser and Import the attached Data source Type file (.dar ).

7. Go to Designer -> Data source Types - Open PostGRE SQL Database for editing. Modify the script with you Server_ip, your Uid and Pwd at the below line:

$connStr = "Driver={PostgreSQL 64-Bit ODBC Drivers};Server=10.226.179.161;Port=5432;Database=dvdrental;Uid=postgres;Pwd=netapp;"

Save it.

If you Postgre SQL server uses SSL etc, Read the following and modify the Driver accordingly : http://www.connectionstrings.com/postgresql/

8. Execution -> Data sources -> Add a new Datasource of PostGRE SQL Database 9.3 (POWER_SHELL) . Fill in the Server etc. ( They are just space-fillers for now, the Acquisition script has everything hard-coded. Its POC after all )

9. Save. Your Datasource acquisition will succeed and you can see a table 'customer' in scheme dvd with first_name, last_name , email column acquired from the Postgre SQL DB.

Now its all yours, Add your filters/finders/commands/workflows as you wish.

Message was edited by: Abhishek Sinha

Message was edited by: Abhishek Sinha Replaced the DataSource type for WFA2.1 RC1.

kandati

Great stuff Sinha

-Siva

CHRISTIAN_UMREIN

Hi Abhishek,

thank for this deteiled guide.

I have on problem:

"Incompatible DAR - no upgrade path were found.

DAR version '2.2.0.2.1', installed version '2.1.0.70.31RC1'

Where can I download 2.2.0.2.1?

sinhaa

Ahh.. that's my bad Chris. I created this Datasource type on a WFA 2.2 server which is still under development. I've replaced the old Data source file with a new one. Import this and let me know how it worked.

warm regards,

Abhishek

CHRISTIAN_UMREIN

Not working 😞

"Incompatible DAR - no upgrade path was found. DAR version 'null', installed version '2.1.0.70.31RC1'

sinhaa

Ohh.. try this one.

sinhaa

Chris,

Extract the file in .dar and then Import it. I think you are trying to Import .zip file itself.

CHRISTIAN_UMREIN

Now it is working.

Great work!

THANKS!!!

Public