Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Automatic registration with System Manager server - what is it?

aborzenkov

During upgrade to 8.1.1 7-Mode I noticed interesting message after reboot into new version (who reads those messages during normal operation ... )

Mon Sep 17 11:51:22 GMT [filer:mgr.opsmgr.autoreg.norec:warning]: No SRV records found for the System Manager server, or the server is not located on this subnet.

Could somebody shed light what it tried to do? I posted here because I presumed it was speaking about OnCommand server, but feel free to move this thread to another forum if I was wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adaikkap

Hi

You can ignore the message. The error msg is telling you that the DNS server does not have informational "SRV" records that are used in part to tell the filer where the DFM server is on the network. Its basically saying that the mechanism that allows DFM to auto-discover filers on the network is not found.

BTW this is OnCommand UM/DFM and not System Manager AFAIK.

Regards

adai

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

adaikkap

Hi

You can ignore the message. The error msg is telling you that the DNS server does not have informational "SRV" records that are used in part to tell the filer where the DFM server is on the network. Its basically saying that the mechanism that allows DFM to auto-discover filers on the network is not found.

Regards

adai

aborzenkov

The someone better fix the message text, please

jose_miguel_almagro

Hello!

I have the same message, but it's a problem for me!!!!!

When I do a takeover of controller1, serving NFS, from controller2, the mount on a linux host takes about 3 or 4 seconds to respond.

But when I do the giveback process, the mount on the linux stucks about 30 seconds, and I get this message on the console:

Thu Mar 14 08:04:15 GMT [controller1:mgr.opsmgr.autoreg.norec:warning]: No SRV records found for the System Manager server, or the server is not located on this subnet. 

How can I disable this option? Or how can I resolve it?

Regards

MYNETAPP_

hi did you resolve this problem, I'm experience the same issue. FAS2240 DOT 8.1.2 7-Mode

MILESNABO

Me too, same thing. I can't be sure what the filer's doing in that time, but it looks as if there's a 20second delay while that auto-registration times out. Failback is currently slower, on a new filer with nothing on it yet, than our old and busy 6080. If anyone found a resolution, please post it - thanks!

kryan

As Adai posted, this is ONTAP looking up the DFM/UM server for auto-registration. 

ONTAP 8.1 and higher performs this check and there is no control over the behavior.

You will need to add the SRV record in DNS similar to this:

Domain: <Domain name>

Service:  _dfm

Protocol: _tcp

Priority: 0

Weight: 100

Port Number: 8088

RFE 402136 was filed to improve the behavior of this feature and bug 711486 was filed to correct the error message.

Please open a support case and request that it be attached to one or both of the above.

Kevin

MILESNABO

I already have a case. My issue is that it affects giveback. I can see how auto-registraion might be beneficial, but giveback isn't the time when you'd want this kind of thing popping up. Seems like it's a know problem...

http://support.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=614938

lederman

I created this SRV record in my AD domain and it had no effect.   I'm running a FAS2220 with 8.1.4P1 and I do not have a DFM/OCUM server running.  The delay in looking up the server is adding 30-35 seconds to giveback time and I'm dropping VMware datastores (with hosts set up with proper timeouts).

This is a problem -- any way to disable this check?

kryan

There is not currently a way to disable this check.

If you open a support case, refer to bug 809587 which was opened to remove this check.

Kevin

Public