Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Bypass the message "waiting for giveback"

jbayaton1869

Hi Guys,

Just this morning, when the FAS270 appliance was rebooted, it did not went through.

All I can see is the message "waiting for giveback".

I tried to access the knowledgebase for this error but was not able due to current restriction of my account.

NetApp is still trying to verify my account base on the product information or our company.

My question is....Can we bypass this "waiting for giveback" message and be able to get the decent prompt? Do we need to plug or unplug anything for that matter?

Thanks again in advance.

El

12 REPLIES 12

adamfox

Is the controller that is "waiting for giveback" failed over to the other head? If so, then you need to enter 'cf giveback' on the surviving partner and the waiting controller will continue to boot.

jbayaton1869

Hi Adam,

I've read this suggestion on the the pdf documentation, but exactly how to do it is the problem.

I only have the "CFE>" prompt and the Maitenance prompt option, both I have not seen any "cf" command available.

Anything that we missed here?

Thanks very much in advance.

Best regards,

El

adamfox

Is the partner of the downed controller up or down?

jbayaton1869

It's up and running.

jbayaton1869

Hi Adam,

Here's an additional info that might help:

1. I have the message below during boot-up

Tue Jul 20 06:36:28 GMT : Interconnect link 0 is UP

Tue Jul 20 06:36:29 GMT : Cluster Interconnect link 0 is DOWN

Thu Jan 1 00:00:03 GMT : Interconnect link 0 is UP

Thu Jan 1 00:00:10 GMT : Link break detected on Fibre Channel adapter 0b.

Thu Jan 1 00:00:27 GMT : Initialization failed on Fibre Channel adapter 0c.

2. I have a FAULT LED at the back of the FAS270. It is on NODE-A (near terminate switch), right beside the Fiber Channel Cable going the the LRC-A Input Port of the DS14MK2 machine.

adamfox

Ok, so if you can get the down controller at the "waiting for giveback" state, and the other controller is up and running normally, then from the PARTNER filer prompt, you want to do the following:

partner> cf giveback

This will release the reservations on the downed controllers disk and allow it to continue to boot.

jbayaton1869

Hi,

Am sorry, but I am somehow lost here. Did you mean that with the setup and given the error, it should be able to boot to the other partner?

The bootup never goes to the "partner>" promp. It just stays in "waiting for giveback" forever.

Thanks very much.

adamfox

Ok, we need a level set here. So controller A is down and is sitting at "Waiting for Giveback".

Controller B is up and running normally.

If this is the case, then ON CONTROLLER B (the one that is up), enter the cf giveback command. That should release controller A's disks and allow it to boot.

jbayaton1869

My apologies here...really..... coz I am new to the technical terms and everything

All I can say is that the Set-up here is that FAS270-c and DS14-MK2 is connected via Fiber Channel cables

DS14 has no errors base on the LED and it is the FAS270 which has the FAULT LED as mentioned earlier.

Somehow, when this intially booted, I was able to get at the intended prompt, but just yesterday morning, this "waiting for giveback" is showing and there was no way that it went through given the set-up above.

Adam, if you have additional information to clear the issue, please ask some more.

Thanks very much for your patience on this one.

regards,

El

adamfox

I'm not sure how else to explain how to get out of this. At this point, you're probably better off opening up a case with NetApp support and work with someone one-on-one who can walk you through the process in real time. They are really good at resolving these sorts of issues.

jbayaton1869

No Problem Man! I can understand

I am still waiting for the support for the verification of our account and hopefully we can open an incident with them.

Thanks very much anyway for your patience on this one

I really appreciate it.

All the best

jbayaton1869

Hi,

I don't know what happen here, but somehow I was able to get the prompt from the partner and was able to issue the command.

Now both are OK.

Thanks very much for the patience and the assistance on this matter.

All the best,

EL

Public