Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

CIFS session monitoring with Operations Manager

leroy

Do we have a method to monitor the number of cifs sessions on filer using operations manager?

Thank you in advance!

8 REPLIES 8

BrendonHiggins

You can select the "Storage System NAS Performance Summary" for a total or select Appliance Details then CIFS Operations / sec.

Bren

leroy

Thanks for the reply, I reviewed the OM web gui and found only cifs ops/sec and latency. Although this information is very useful, my customer is concerned with cifs informational data rather than performance.

As an example, I am looking for a method to monitor the number of cifs sessions/connections on the per filer basis.

Will this be included in the next version of dfm?

adaikkap

Hi leroy,

Starting DFM 3.8 IIRC we have the following default cifs reports.

[root@lnx ~]# dfm report list | grep -i cifs
  cifs-shares               shows CIFS shares of a storage system
  cifs-share-permissions    shows permissions of CIFS shares of a storage system
[root@lnx ~]#

Below is the catalog for the custom fileds of CIFS.

[root@lnx ~]# dfm report catalog list  CIFSShare
CIFSShare Catalog

Default Display Tab: Filesystems

Fields:

Field                               Default Name                                  Default Format
----------------------------------- --------------------------------------------- --------------
All                                 All fields of this catalog
Name                                CIFS Share Name
MountPoint                          CIFS Share Mount Point
Permission                          CIFS Share Permission
Qtree                               CIFS Share Qtree (A)
Volume                              CIFS Share Volume (A)
[root@lnx ~]#

Though this might not exactly what you are looking for, this is some thing close to what is availabe in OM today in cifs reporting.

Regards

adai

jbeverly

This may be out of the scope of OM, but do we think that cifs sessions could be captured via an SNMP walk?  Not particularly an advocate of custon scripting, but for the sake of third-party applications (HPOpenView, SiteScope, etc.) this may be apropos.

msaravan

I think it is achievable via SNMPWalk. netapp.mib has lot of SNMP objects defined for CIFS.

If you are interested in knowing only on the CIFS sessions count per filer, you can use "cifsNSessions" (1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.7.2.12) object.

cifsNSessions                   OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX                          Counter32
        MAX-ACCESS                      read-only
        STATUS                          current
DESCRIPTION
   "The current number of active CIFS sessions
    on the filer."
::= { cifsInfo 12 }

Please let me know if you are looking for any other information. I'll go through the SNMP tables and let you know if there is any right SNMP object available for you.

Regards,

Saravanan

jbeverly

I came to the same conclusion via SNMPwalk, but I was not as successful to find cifsNSessions tied to a vFiler.  Do you think our .MIB goes that deep?

msaravan

Bad luck !!   The MIB doesnt go that deep.

Saravanan

anthony01

Hey Leroy,

We use a tool that works great for showing how many concurrent connections are being made to a share and the users that are connected in real time and the reports show usage and connection histories too. The tool is called Arxview, www.arxscan.com.

Ant

Public