Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Can't see list of netapp filers in WFA for 7 mode

NETAPP0508

i am playing around with the tool but i am not seeing a list of netapp filers for 7 mode. We have almost every thing on 7 mode except one pair which is on cDot. During the  CIFS volume creation using 7 mode , under the preview command option , array ip is always the  same - which is first in the list under DFM/OCUM 5.2 for 7 mode. Why its always choosing the first one ? Do i need to manually pull all the NetApp filers in the WFA ? The data source is configured fine for 7 mode.

7 REPLIES 7

sinhaa

You need to understand some basic building blocks in a WFA workflow. You are new to it but you'll get it soon as you keep using WFA.

I assume your workflow is: Create a Volume and a CIFS Share on scheme 'storage' i.e. 7Mode. I'll try to answer your questions.

1. During the  CIFS volume creation using 7 mode , under the preview command option , array ip is always the  same - which is first in the list under DFM/OCUM 5.2 for 7 mode. Why its always choosing the first one ?

----

This is a sample workflow mainly designed for users to get to learn using workflow and hence has a simple design. If you open the workflow and see the filters its using, you'll know the details. Filters are SQL results returned by SQL queries. Its using 3 filters to select a candidate aggredate for creating the volume. Filter aggr by available capacity, aggr not aggr0 and aggr not in overcommitted. So as long as this aggr will the first one in the returned list meeting all the required criteria, it will always be picked. Hence also the array this aggr belongs to. If you don't want this, clone and modify this workflow as you wish. WFA is extremely flexible and can be moulded to do just about anything and everything.  

2. Do i need to manually pull all the NetApp filers in the WFA ?

----

If you have configured the datasource, there is no manual pulling required ( or even possible ).

warm regards,

Abhishek

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

NETAPP0508

Thanks Abhishek. So for each filer i have to create a sperate template for doing the same task ? If i have 100 filer , do i need 100 templates to create a volume ? I was thinking of creating one template and inputting filer name , aggregate name , vol name , size etc . Idea is to standardize on tasks and give it the teams to create their own volumes/shares . Probably i need to play with a clone template and explore it further . thanks again.

sinhaa

@ So for each filer i have to create a sperate template for doing the same task ? If i have 100 filer , do i need 100 templates to create a volume ?

-----

No. Not at all. You just create a template for type: volume and set the attributes in the template which you want to keep common/standard in 100 volumes. Now create a workflow, select your command, pick the template and save the workflow and execute it. 

But you need to understand that a volume Template will have properties of a volume. If you want a keep filer name, aggr name same for all volumes then set them in your workflow.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

NETAPP0508

Thanks once again. Actually i cloned the "volume create  + CIFS share create" template but couldn't find an option to change the controller ip. I see most of the out of box templates with a drop down box for choosing the array name/ip except very few like this which doesn't show the option with the default template neither give you an option to change the ip with cloned template. Which option allows you add the array ip as a paramter ? i see only a list of 3 - vol name , size and share name . How can i add a array name to have the 4th one ? there is no add option under "paramter" tab.

trentino123

Try this :

Go to edit the create volume command within the workflow

Unclick on 'show only attributes by create volume'

You will now see an array input

Fill with $array_ip ( when you start a name with $, you create a variable )

Click Ok

Go to Setup on the main workflow

Go to User Inputs ( you will see the newly created variable array_ip )

Now to create the dropdown, double click on array_ip

On type choose query

Click on enter a SQL query

Fill with the following query :
SELECT
ip,name
FROM
storage.array

click Ok twice

run the preview to see the dropdown

Good luck !

@NETAPP0508 wrote:

Thanks once again. Actually i cloned the "volume create  + CIFS share create" template but couldn't find an option to change the controller ip. I see most of the out of box templates with a drop down box for choosing the array name/ip except very few like this which doesn't show the option with the default template neither give you an option to change the ip with cloned template. Which option allows you add the array ip as a paramter ? i see only a list of 3 - vol name , size and share name . How can i add a array name to have the 4th one ? there is no add option under "paramter" tab.

NETAPP0508

Thank you . your suggestion worked perfectly and now i can input the array ip name and also have the drop down to choose the filer. I need to do the same thing for aggregate also . I try to follow the similar steps but got confused with select statement i need to query all the aggregate of the filer. Looks like the query mode does shows you option but not sure whch one to use.

I also tried to preview the workflow which i created with arryip , vol name , vol size and share name inputs - but it failed with (this is using the default aggregate )

Found value '$array_ip ' - expected object reference of type 'storage.Array'
At command 'Create Volume', tab 'Volume', variable 'share_volume', property 'array'

Anything iam missing.

trentino123

When you are editing a query, you can also click on 'Test' to test the results. The query is a MYSQL query. If can get complex when you combine databases, but when you use only one database like storage.array is very simple. For cdot, all the databases begin with cmstorage. and for 7mode they begin with storage.

For example, if you do a SELECT * FROM storage.aggregate  , and the click on Test, you will see all the storage.aggregate database and fields. If you wanted only the name, then you could need SELECT name from storage.aggregate , but sometimes you can also need free space left ( for example ) , and then order by that space in descending form.

The error you mention could be that you needed the name or ip only and something else is appearing in that field.

Try to do a SELECT name from storage.array , preview there, and if it does not work, try a SELECT ip from storage.array .

Of course, the fields you can choose can be then searched with SELECT * from storage.array , and also you could troubleshoot by leaving a string in the user input ( no dropdown sql query ) and then trying to see what does it want manually.

Hope that helps.

Public