Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Connecting directly to WFA Mysql

f_duranti

Hi, it's possible to connect directly to the mysql instance of WFA (also with a user with read only access)?

I ask this because I need to to some filters on the sql tables of WFA and I'm not an sql expert so using some external tools to create and check the query will be really useful (the web interface to create and check the query is not so good).

Thanks

Francesco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

yaronh

Hi Francesco,

We usually use a third party tool, a MySQL viewer.

There are some good ones (We highly recommend SQLYog (http://www.webyog.com/en/), which is not an expensive solution).

There are some free ones as well, such as Navicat.

Regardless, we don't usually dispense the password for the database as it is a root user.

What we can do is create a read only user that you could use in one of the aforementioned tools

to test your queries. Let us know if that's something you'd like and I can facilitate it.

Regards,

Yaron Haimsohn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

yaronh

Hi Francesco,

We usually use a third party tool, a MySQL viewer.

There are some good ones (We highly recommend SQLYog (http://www.webyog.com/en/), which is not an expensive solution).

There are some free ones as well, such as Navicat.

Regardless, we don't usually dispense the password for the database as it is a root user.

What we can do is create a read only user that you could use in one of the aforementioned tools

to test your queries. Let us know if that's something you'd like and I can facilitate it.

Regards,

Yaron Haimsohn

f_duranti

I will not need root access but having a read only user will be great just to be able to create some query. The web interface of WFA is great but writing queries directly is not the simplest of the things

Regards

Francesco

hland

I agree, DB access can be really helpful for testing SQL queries or even for just checking what the values in the cache DB are. We should have at least an option to configure a read-only user that can be used by customers. Maybe not as a hard-coded user with default password but something that can be configured within the WFA options?

Yaron, could you track this as a feature request? 😉

Regards

Hendrik

PS: I'm experimenting with a web-based solution to access the WFA cache DB in a comfortable manner (as an alternative to SQLyog which requires an RDP session). Will post results in the next few days...

dekel

In WFA 1.1 we added a default read only user

The user shall have read only privileges for the  caching schema including storage ,cm storage and vmware  .

There will be no GUI to change the default username/password

hland

Great! You guys are always faster than I can think of new ideas

f_duranti

It will be really nice Does it allow also to access new "manually created" schema or just the default one configured at the installation?

Francesco

dekel

Whenever you create a new caching schema it will get read only grants for the default user.

Public