Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Create New Volume Based on Existing Volume Naming Convention

mtaormina

I have created a basic workflow to create a volume and NFS export with several parameters. I have set up a few parameters that create the volume name based on user input and based on an already established volume naming convention. However, my final field in the volume name is a three digit, unique number based what is already in use on the chosen filer. How can I increment this number based on existing volumes?

Volume Name Convention: <Environment>_<Filer>_<Unique Number>

Existing filer1 Volumes: Prod_filer1_001, Prod_filer1_002, Test_filer1_001

The first two fields are filled in with variables selected by the user from drop downs. How can I compare what the user has selected and grab the next unique number?

Example: The user selects Prod and filer1 for the first two fields. The workflow sees that 'Prod_filer1_001' and 'Prod_filer1_002' already exist on filer1 and sets the new volume name as 'Prod_filer1_003'

It seems like a combination of a finder and function are needed, but I can't seem to put it together.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hland

You're looking for the incremental naming wizard

As this is a very common task, WFA has a built-in feature for this. Move your mouse over the volume name input field and you'll see a button appearing on the right side of the field. Click on it to open the incremental naming wizard. Here you can select a filter or finder to find the last volume name that was already used. In your case, a filter based on a volume prefix should do the trick. The prefix is a combination of the user inputs such as: $environment + '_' + $filer

The simply tell WFA to increment by 1 (and what the name is when no existing volume is found, e.g. you are creating the first volume). Everything is automagically handled by WFA. Enjoy

Regards

Hendrik

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

hland

You're looking for the incremental naming wizard

As this is a very common task, WFA has a built-in feature for this. Move your mouse over the volume name input field and you'll see a button appearing on the right side of the field. Click on it to open the incremental naming wizard. Here you can select a filter or finder to find the last volume name that was already used. In your case, a filter based on a volume prefix should do the trick. The prefix is a combination of the user inputs such as: $environment + '_' + $filer

The simply tell WFA to increment by 1 (and what the name is when no existing volume is found, e.g. you are creating the first volume). Everything is automagically handled by WFA. Enjoy

Regards

Hendrik

mtaormina

Thanks. This is exactly what i was looking for. It even pads the number for you.

KevHaynes

Further to this, is there a way to recurse this? As in, a user enter "volume0001", but volumes 0001-0005 already exist, and have WFA set the new volume name as 0006?

Public