Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

DFM DR Mirror and Backup, then backup

francoisbnc

I need to implement a DFM backup policy with DR Mirror and Backup in a first step, and then backup the backup of primary. This template don't exit, but I receive the following :

Guideline : Node is a mirror copy (Read Only ) then, I have to create a Application Dataset, register the backupversion with protection manager and then apply the protection policy as“Mirror” . If this is the case , you need to take care of the retention times …

Is somebody can explain the way how I can do the register backup version?  by api script or dfm command line

Thanx in advance

francois

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

francoisbnc

Finally found a solution with steps :

- Create applicative Dataset bkpbkp

api:dataset-create

is-application-responsible-for-primary-backup <-- true

- Create Backup version

api:dp-backup-version-create

- Attach physical ressources aggr1 to dataset

dfpm dataset add  bkpbkp nas2:aggr1

-Attach protection policy Mirror to Dataset bkpbkp

On volumes created in aggr1 will be mirrored to the disaster site. Only one backup version of bkpbkp dataset exists.

francois

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

smoot

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to achieve. Could you try drawing a picture showing the topology you want?

One thing you won't be able to do is have a Primary->Backup->Second Backup, where both connections are Backup connections. ONTAP doesn't have a way to cascade backup relationships (neither QSM or SnapVault support this).

-- Pete

francoisbnc

In command line, I can create without problem a snapmirror relation between with, in primary, a snapvault volume destination.

However for DFM, I have to create two dataset, first standard DR Mirror and Backup. Second Mirror attached to a applicative Dataset.

- Create applicative dataset

- Add manually aggr1 for primary data resource pool

- Attach Protection Policy type Mirror.

The problem is with the applicative Dataset, primary retention are not managed by DFM himself.

So how can I do for tranferring the snapshot of snapvault destination on the first dataset to Backup DR?

regards

francois

francoisbnc

Finally found a solution with steps :

- Create applicative Dataset bkpbkp

api:dataset-create

is-application-responsible-for-primary-backup <-- true

- Create Backup version

api:dp-backup-version-create

- Attach physical ressources aggr1 to dataset

dfpm dataset add  bkpbkp nas2:aggr1

-Attach protection policy Mirror to Dataset bkpbkp

On volumes created in aggr1 will be mirrored to the disaster site. Only one backup version of bkpbkp dataset exists.

francois

Public