Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

DFM (OPs manager) volume-autosized email alert.

waynehapu

Hi All

I am trying to get an DFM email alert sent when volumes auto-grow. This is because my Production SQL LUNs are in volumes that are set to grow automatically if they reach their pre-defined threshold. If the SQL volumes needs to autogrow then i would like to be alerted, investigate (with the DBAs) why and if required increase the size of the volumes (or decrease the size if the increase is not warranted).

However my attempt to get this alert through has failed so far. If I "test" the alarm i do get a test email, however the SNMP trap does not seem to be sent from the filers to the admin host where DFM resides (which should trigger the email alert). I receive other email alerts for other events just fine.

I have created a test volume and added it to an Alarm in DFM. I have then enabled the "vol autosize" function on this volume and then filled the volume up with data files. When the volume reaches its capacity threshold I can see a message on the filer console that the volumes does indeed autogrow but am not receiving the email alert about it.

STEPS FOLLOWED:
1)Add the DFM server as traphost to filer using snmp traphost add <dfm-ip-address> and set init to "1".

2)Create a volume of size say 2GB on ontap and let dfm discover it.

3)Enable autosize for newly created volume by vol autosize <vol> -m <size> on eg: vol autosize vol_autosize -m 3g -i 100g on

4)Created an e-mail alert(alarm) for the event " volume-autosized" on group of volumes which my test volume is part of.

5)I have written data on this volume to fill it up and trigger autogrow function (successfully).

6)Now on filer console you can see meesages like "JUNE 28 17:06:02 EST [NASHC01: wafl.vol.autoSize.done:info]: Automatic increase size of volume 'test_vol_autogrow' by 102400 kbytes done.."

However as stated i do not receive the email alert from DFM warning me that the volume has grown in size.

Can anyone advise how to get this email alert working? Thanks in advance.

Regards
WH

20 REPLIES 20
Public