Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

DFM Performance Data - limiting scope?

rushfanjc

Greetings!

We've noted that the folder that DFM/Ops Manager uses for Performance Data (\DFM\Perfdata) is increasing.  This appears to be causing some pressure when performing DFM database backups (i.e. the Database backup itself is 3.6 GB, but the backup job needs 10.2 GB to process).  This appears to be related to the size of the \perfdata folder (e.g. 13.3 GB)

Is there an option to configure in DFM to limit the history of performance data retained?  For example - I'd like to keep only 4-6 weeks of historical performance data for analysis.  I didn't really see any configuration options that would allow me to limit the performance data collection in this way.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips!

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nagesha

Hi Jeff,

>> Thanks Richard - that was my concern that the retention was a global parameter change, not one I could adjust for performance advisor only.

Change in retention period with 'dfm perf data modify' affects only performance advisor data,  it has NO impact on Operations Manager (OM) reports, graphs related data.

However following reports available with OM web UI will have impact as these reports are specific to performance advisor.

storage-system-performance-summary performance summary of storage system
  storage-system-NAS-performance-summary NAS performance summary of storage system
  storage-system-SAN-performance-summary SAN performance summary of storage systems
  aggregates-performance-summary performance summary of aggregate
  volumes-performance-summary performance summary of volume
  volumes-NAS-performance-summary NAS performance summary of volume
  volumes-SAN-performance-summary SAN performance summary of volume
  qtrees-performance-summary performance summary of Qtree
  luns-performance-summary  performance summary of LUN
  disks-performance-summary performance summary  of Disks
  vfiler-performance-summary performance summary of vFilers

Please let me know if I can provide more details on this.

regards,

nagesh

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RichardSopp

Hi Jeff,

You can see how DFM is configured to retain performance data by running 'dfm perf data list'.

You will see that system archive, cpu archive and performance archive have the longest retention periods.

These can be changed with 'dfm perf data modify' however changing some of these retention periods, such as CPU, will result in less historical data being available in OM in the built in reports and charts, not just in performance advisor.

Richard

rushfanjc

Thanks Richard - that was my concern that the retention was a global parameter change, not one I could adjust for performance advisor only.  I'll take a look at the options and see what we can live with!

nagesha

Hi Jeff,

>> Thanks Richard - that was my concern that the retention was a global parameter change, not one I could adjust for performance advisor only.

Change in retention period with 'dfm perf data modify' affects only performance advisor data,  it has NO impact on Operations Manager (OM) reports, graphs related data.

However following reports available with OM web UI will have impact as these reports are specific to performance advisor.

storage-system-performance-summary performance summary of storage system
  storage-system-NAS-performance-summary NAS performance summary of storage system
  storage-system-SAN-performance-summary SAN performance summary of storage systems
  aggregates-performance-summary performance summary of aggregate
  volumes-performance-summary performance summary of volume
  volumes-NAS-performance-summary NAS performance summary of volume
  volumes-SAN-performance-summary SAN performance summary of volume
  qtrees-performance-summary performance summary of Qtree
  luns-performance-summary  performance summary of LUN
  disks-performance-summary performance summary  of Disks
  vfiler-performance-summary performance summary of vFilers

Please let me know if I can provide more details on this.

regards,

nagesh

rushfanjc

hmmm...is 'dfm perf data' command only available in DFM/Ops Manager verion 3.7 or later?  I'm running 3.6R2 and do not seem to have 'dfm perf data' as an option.

nagesha

Yes,  these commands are only available in DFM 3.7 or later versions.

regards,

nagesh

tatlee

Hi Jeff,

I come across the same situation. But I want to move the perf data log to another directory instead of limiting the scope. How can I do that?

Regards,

Terrence

adaikkap

Hi Terrence,

By default perfArchiveDir is stored in <installationsdir>/perfdata.

[root@lnx~]# dfm options list perfArchiveDir
Option          Value
--------------- ------------------------------
perfArchiveDir  /opt/NTAPdfm/perfdata
[root@lnx~]#

Changes this to your desired location using the command.

dfm options set perfArchiveDir=<your location>

Regards

adai

tatlee

Adai,

Thanks for the info. However, how can I also move the old perf data to the new directory?

Regards,

Terrence

prasads

Hi Terrance,

To move the perf data log to another directory, you can use the below command

# dfm datastore setup -p /opt/new_dir

This command will create a new directory (if not available) and move the perf data to this directory & then finally point the DFM server to use the perf data from this new location.

Regards,

Prasad

tatlee

Prasad,

Thanks. Will try it out.

Regards,

Terrence Lee

NetApp Global Services

NetApp

852.3605.7700 Main

852.9181.8824 Mobile Phone

terrence.lee@netapp.com

Learn how: netapp.com/guarantee

chris_mckean

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question on this topic?  I can see that you can trim down the retention period of the perfdata.  If i do this what will happen to the data that is already collected.  Will it be deleted or will it just stay there?  Does anyone know?

Cheers

Chris

uagarwal

We do remove the data in case the retention period is trimmed down, in a way that the oldest records are eliminated  until the no of records equal the max records that should exist at the latest retention period and sampling interval.

Public