Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

DFM snapshot renamed

keithscott

Using DFM/Ops Manager to run backups of files on NetApp filers and OSSV backups.  Have backups that I ran manually for annual retention periods.  Need to keep annual around for 9+ years.  Want to be able to recognize them easily so used 'snap rename" command to rename the snapshot from dfpm_DHAVR-NS1.18156.1264298667 to 2009_annual_server x.  Now if I try to do a restore through DFM it says there are no files found for that snapshot.

So is there a way to reconcile the renamed snap with DFM or do I need to rename the snap back to the old name to be able to use DFM restore?  Or will that even fix the problem?

This is happening with snapvault and OSSV backups.

4 REPLIES 4

smoot

You didn't say you were using Protection Manager, but given the snapshot name, that must be what you are doing.

If you rename the snapshot, Protection Manager will think it has been deleted.  Unfortunately, there is no 100% reliable way for us to figure out that it's still the same snapshot, not another snapshot that just looks pretty much the same.

Once you rename the snapshot, I don't think renaming it back will work.  As soon as we detect the snapshot has gone missing, we remove the reference to that snapshot from our backup version table.  If you rename the snapshot back, we don't re-add it to the table.

A better answer would be to create your annual backup using unlimited retention.  In the backup description, you can state why you created it and when it can be deleted.  After nine years, power off and recycle the disk shelves and DFM 11.0 will clean up the backup versions :-).

keithscott

Yes I'm using Protection Manager or DFM whichever it's called.  The backups were manual with unlimited retention or self delete.  So it's sounds like I'm out of luck on this.

You do make reference to a backup version table.  Where is that located and is it editable?  Would that be a way to change the snap name, and maybe to replace a reference that's been deleted?

On DFM versions, any thought to adding a feature to rename a snapshot via DFM or being able to do annual backups with multi-year retention times?

Thanks

adaikkap
You do make reference to a backup version table.  Where is that located and is it editable? 

Its a internal database.No

Would that be a way to change the snap name, and maybe to replace a reference that's been deleted?

If thats required, raise a support ticket and engineering will fix it.

On DFM versions, any thought to adding a feature to rename a snapshot via DFM or being able to do annual backups with multi-year retention times?

Yes.

regards

adai

smoot

Hi Keith --

Let me clarify Adai's comments a bit.

The backup version table is a database table maintained in the DFM database.  You can't directly modify it.  However, if you download the Managability SDK (see http://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-1152), you get access to some APIs which do allow you to modify backups.

You could write a script to read the names of the snapshots in a backup version, rename the snapshots, and modify the backup version to reference the new snapshots instead of the old ones.  A competent scripter could bang this out in a day or two.

As to whether we could rename snapshots (and volumes and qtrees) from inside Protection Manager.  I'm lobbying our product managers to include that capability.  I'd like to get it in but, not enough people, priorities, you know how it goes.  No promises.  Ask your sales rep to file an enhancement request so I've got more support.

-- Pete

Public