Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Does SANscreen v6.1 has the capability to discover windows/linux machines?

learnthestorage

Hi,

I have the following question regarding the SANscreen server disocvery capabilities. Hope somebody gets to answer this ASAP.

1. Does SANscreen v6.1 has the capabbitlity to discover, collect performance, capacity management, of widows/linux/suse hosts??

2. Can I get an end-to-end connectivity of a SAN environment that includes a [Windows host -> ESX server -> Switch -> Fabric(VSAN) -> Storage array]

3. I have all Dell PowerEdge servers and most of my infrastructure includes DELL and McData, however, in the data sources I could not find DELL, how do I discover them??

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

John Jr.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ostiguy

SANscreen is an agentless solution, and does not go to the host. SANscreen understands what hbas / iscsi initiators / nfs export  belongs to a host, but does not actually talk to hosts.

SANscreen can discover all the VM guests running on ESX via the VMInsight module

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ostiguy

SANscreen is an agentless solution, and does not go to the host. SANscreen understands what hbas / iscsi initiators / nfs export  belongs to a host, but does not actually talk to hosts.

SANscreen can discover all the VM guests running on ESX via the VMInsight module

GEOINT_NCE

You mention that SanScreen is an agentless solution.  I'm not sure what exactly that means since the data sources available from SanScreen do not require an agent to collect data. SanScreen or OnCommand Insight doesn't need an agent to collect data from its current data sources.  Why not collect data from Windows/Solaris/Linux san hosts in an agentless manner?  Using WMI or ssh for example?

Thanks. 

Henry

Public