2010-08-30 07:57 AM
Because the 2000 series systems do not have RLM cards IHAC who is wondering what limitations the BMC architecture impose regarding opsmanager. What reports, features, monitoring capabilities, are affected? I don't see anything about this in any of the documentation and am being asked to provide some documented limitations.
Solved! See The Solution
2 REPLIES 2
2010-08-30 10:11 AM
Here is a list of what you can do with RLM cards:
- Status of remote management card (online, unavailable) will be monitored. If this status changes, appropriate event will be generated.
- Appliance's remote management details will be displayed.
- The following remote power control options will be provided:
- System power on
- System power off
- System power-cycle (Off then On)
- System power status
- The following reset control options will be provided:
- System reset with current firmware
- System reset with primary firmware
- System reset with backup firmware
- Initiate core dump option will be available.
- Captured console logs will be displayed.
- System Events will be displayed. There will be an option to the user to select all the events, or just the latest events, etc.
- Appliance's sensor status will be displayed.
- If the management card provides a CLI interface, users will be able to execute any CLI command from the DataFabric Manager's user interface. However, it is not possible to open a CLI session from the DataFabric Manager UI since on windows client machines (DFM server installed elsewhere) there are no utility which provides ssh functionality that could be spawned.
- Run a command (dfm run cmd/submit) on the RLM card IP instead of on the filer IP.
All this would not be possible with BMC.
Re: Exact limitations of opsmanager with 2000 series systems
2010-08-30 10:56 AM
Operations Manager does not use the RLM cards on the filers to do monitoring or management.
It just gives you a way to run commands via the RLM card from Ops-Mgr itself.It also monitors the RLM and its status.
No functionality of OM would be missing if the filer doesn't have RLM card.