Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

FAS2240-4 dual controller, want to break HA and set one large pool with OnCommand

AWSTRUEPOWERBO

Hello,

we have recently purchased a dual controller FAS2240-4 and want to break HA to turn the current active/active configuration into an active/passive one. The reason to do this is that we want to get a single large pool instead of two small pools.

While configuring this device with the System Setup, the setup kept prompting an error everytime we selected to have a single large pool, so we had to proceed with two small pools option selected. Now we are managing the device through the OnCommand System Manager and I could find the option to disable HA, but can't find how to configure the pool and make it become a single and large one.

We don't have any data stored on it yet, so we are free to do anything.

Any help or ideas would be more than welcome! Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nigelg1965

I'm pretty sure there's no way to achieve what you want, all the disks on one controller and the second controller sat there doing nothing until it's needed. If you really can't split your data across two volumes on two heads, then the best thing to do would be to configure the "inactive" controller with the minimum number of disks possible, which going to be 3 disks (2 in RAID 4 array and a spare)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

nigelg1965

I'm pretty sure there's no way to achieve what you want, all the disks on one controller and the second controller sat there doing nothing until it's needed. If you really can't split your data across two volumes on two heads, then the best thing to do would be to configure the "inactive" controller with the minimum number of disks possible, which going to be 3 disks (2 in RAID 4 array and a spare)

resqme914

Your best option to accomplish that is like what nigelg suggested... have a raid-4 2-disk aggr0 on the 2nd controller and one spare disk.  You can switch the ownership of all other disks to the main controller and enlarge the aggr0 on that controller.

AWSTRUEPOWERBO

Thanks to both of you, I think I can work on what to do with your answers.

We want to max out the size of one volume so maybe the raid-4 of 2 disks and 1 spare on aggr0 is the option we will perform.

Regards,

Guillem

Public