Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

HP UCMDB AND OCI

gmilazzoitag

Hi everybody,

Last OCI version, 7.2.x
I don't remember or find any docs about uCMDB from HP connecort or connections to exchange infos. The only connection I knew is for BMC.

I've found an old doc from HP speaking about an "how to discover". 

First question: is HP software that connects to OCI pulling infos from it or is OCI that connect HP and pull infos?

Second. If a connections is possibile is this made using API, "self made software" and so on?

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ostiguy

Hey Giacomo,

Hope all is well - I was actually in Milan in April/May to start/end a three week jaunt around Italy.

I know historically HP did internally write a uCMDB connector to OCI, but to my knowledge it was written against the legacy OCI SOAP API.

This would not be our recommendation for OCI these days:

The OCI REST API will eventually replace the SOAP API. Right now, it has extensive performance data capabilities that the SOAP API never had, and for capacity use cases it is probably more sophisticated (for example, I am not sure if the SOAP API ever got storage pool, internal volume tooling).

The OCI DWH can act as a consolidation point for the minority of OCI customers who need more than one OCI operational instance. Read only SQL access is available for the DWH's consolidated world view of your infrastructure.

My gut feel is that if HP's canned connector is in fact using SOAP, it would be worth looking at doing your own integration via REST or SQL because the data available may be much more rich.

Matt

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ostiguy

Hey Giacomo,

Hope all is well - I was actually in Milan in April/May to start/end a three week jaunt around Italy.

I know historically HP did internally write a uCMDB connector to OCI, but to my knowledge it was written against the legacy OCI SOAP API.

This would not be our recommendation for OCI these days:

The OCI REST API will eventually replace the SOAP API. Right now, it has extensive performance data capabilities that the SOAP API never had, and for capacity use cases it is probably more sophisticated (for example, I am not sure if the SOAP API ever got storage pool, internal volume tooling).

The OCI DWH can act as a consolidation point for the minority of OCI customers who need more than one OCI operational instance. Read only SQL access is available for the DWH's consolidated world view of your infrastructure.

My gut feel is that if HP's canned connector is in fact using SOAP, it would be worth looking at doing your own integration via REST or SQL because the data available may be much more rich.

Matt

gmilazzoitag

Hi Matt!

I was sure that you'd answer.
Here all is well, as I hope you've got a nice trip in my country.

So, basically, the answer is that it could be a connector and this must be built using the available 7.2.x Connect API? Is it?

I'll write you and email for details.

Regards 

Public