Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Help With Misconfigured Loop

chris_parkinson

Hi all,

We recently lost the individual responsible for our SAN, and unfortunately it appears to be improperly configured.  We have two FAS 3020c's in an active/active configuration, head 1 owns an FC shelf and head 2 owns an FC and a SATA shelf.  The problem is that head two has it's FC and SATA shelves on the same loop.  On head two, the FC and SATA shelves have self contained aggregates and the disks are hardware owned by the head.  My plan is to move the FC shelf from head two over to head one, but I'm a little unclear on which steps to take to ensure nothing is lost or corrupted during the move.

Is there a best practices document outlining the steps for moving shelves between heads (while maintaining the data contained on the disks)?  If not, can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

4 REPLIES 4

scottgelb

Definitely open a support case to cover yourself.  For moving the shelves, you will need both heads shut down...there is no hot removal of disks.  Support can talk you through this but there will be no data loss just recabling and possible disk assignment if you reassign disks between the 2 controllers.

pascalduk

Would it not be a lot easier to get the SATA shelf on its own loop on the same head? You only need 2 LC/LC cables and 2 SFP for in the AT-FCX modules.

A general guide for moving the disks of an aggregate to a different filer can be found here: http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel732_vs/html/ontap/smg/GUID-85C8CF29-1FF6-4DC1-9835-EB89E7EA1BF6.html

chris_parkinson

Great point -- I had initially considered adding another loop but thought moving the shelf would be easier.

Each head currently has an unused dual-port HBA in it.  Will the following steps work to add a new loop?

1. Halt both filers.

2. Remove the cables daisy-chaining the SATA shelf to the FC shelf.

3. Decrement the ID on the SATA shelf from 2 to 1.

4. Attach a port on each of the HBAs to the "In" ports on the A and B modules of the SATA shelf.

5. Reboot the filers.

Will the head automatically detect the new loop and recognize the aggregate?  I read through the majority of the documentation yesterday, but I didn't find much concerning this type of move.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

kevinmajenta

Please find attached a document showing the correct cabling for attaching disk shelves on to the FAS3020c.

Kevin

Public