Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

How dfm determines <host-perf-status> or <host-communication-status> as "normal" or "unknown" ?

bingq

Just wondering what’s the criteria for dfm to determine the value of <host-perf-status> :

<host-info>

<id>7847</id>

<name>waqar</name>

<host-id>7847</host-id>

<host-perf-info>

<host-perf-status>unknown</host-perf-status>

<id>114</id>

<name>wasim</name>

<host-id>114</host-id>

<host-perf-info>

<host-perf-status>normal</host-perf-status>

Also want to know the criteria about <host-communication-status>.

Thanks,

Bing

8 REPLIES 8

ppavagad

Hi Bing,

If the host-perf-status is 'Unknown', object must have been recently added and hence performance data has not been collected yet.

The OnCommand Unified Manager API Documentation gives the following information:

host-perf-status : Current status of the host based on performance events

Possible status values:

• unknown: An object has an unknown status when it transitions from one state to another. Ideally, an object will have this status briefly. For example, when an object has been added, but not yet discovered.
    • normal: An object has normal status when it is working within the thresholds specified in DFM.
    • information: The information events are normal occurrences on an object for which you can define alarms.
    • unmanaged: An object is considered to be unmanaged when the login and password are not set for the storage system or agent.
    • warning: An object has the warning status when an event related to the object occurred that an administrator should know about. The event will not cause service disruption.
    • error: An object has error status when it does not cause any service disruption, but it may affect performance.
    • critical: An object has critical status when it is still performing, but service disruption may occur if corrective action is not taken immediately.
    • emergency: An object is in emergency status when it stops performing unexpectedly and could lose data.

host-communication-status :

Whether we are able to establish a connection to validate the host credentials. Valid only for storage systems and Host Agents. Possible values: "unknown", "up", or "down".

Regards,

Pavan

bingq

Hello Pavan,

Thanks for your reply.

As for <host-perf-status>, actually I found a page on NetApp internal site, giving same explanation as what you refer here. However, only "Current status of the host based on performance events" is really too abstract to understand.

Could you please detail that, or with an example ?

As for <host-communication-status>, you say "only for storage systems and Host Agents", can I understand vFiler is not included ? Or, <host-communication-status> for a vFiler would be shown as "unknown" ?

Thanks,

Bing

ppavagad

Hi Bing,

DFM host can be a storage system, a vFiler unit, a switch, or an agent. Hence, <host-communication-status> can include any of these.

Since the API is based on NDMP communication I feel <host-perf-status> indicates whether DFM is able to collect performance data from the host or not.

As I said earlier, if the <host-perf-status> is 'Unknown', the host must have been recently added and hence performance data has not been collected from the host yet.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pavan

bingq

As for <host-communication-status>, in one of our customers' environment, all vFilers show as unknown, compared with normal for physical Filers. So it's not a coincidence, right ?

Thanks,

Bing

ppavagad

HI Bing,

From the image I can see the communication status is unknown for vfilers because DFM is unable to contact the vfiler.

It might be because NDMP/ vfiler monitoring is not configured, although I am not too sure.

Regards,

Pavan

bingq

Hi Pavan,

Will a "dfm diag host" for the vFiler help ?

Thanks,

Bing

bingq

> It might be because NDMP/ vfiler monitoring is not configured,

I think we have different tag ndmp-communication-status to define status of ndmp communication status, different than ost-communication-status

<host-communication-status>unknown</host-communication-status>

<host-username/>

<host-credentials-status>unknown</host-credentials-status>

<host-perf-info>

<host-perf-status>unknown</host-perf-status>

<is-data-available>false</is-data-available>

<data-unavailable-reason>

<perf-status-error>

<error>perf-advisor-not-enabled</error>

</perf-status-error>

<perf-status-error>

<error>host-no-credentials</error>

</perf-status-error>

<perf-status-error>

<error>host-bad-credentials</error>

</perf-status-error>

</data-unavailable-reason>

</host-perf-info>

<licenses/>

<admin-port/>

<admin-transport/>

<perf-advisor-transport/>

<use-hosts-equiv>false</use-hosts-equiv>

<ndmp-communication-status>unknown</ndmp-communication-status>

<ndmp-communication-timestamp>0</ndmp-communication-timestamp>

Thanks,

Bing

ppavagad

Hi Bing,

Yes, DFM host diag will help you in identifying if NDMP connection can be established & if perf advisor is enabled.

Regards,

Pavan

Public