Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

How does DFM decide where to provision a vfiler root volume?

parrizas

Hi,

I am testing the creation of vfilers through the DFM GUI (NMC). As part of the vfiler creation wizard you get to select a Resource Pool or a System Controller to provision the vfiler. In case I choose a controller with several aggregates, how does DFM decide where the vfiler root volume will be provisioned?, will it always choose the root aggregate?,

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Alfonso

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adaikkap

Aggr with most free space.

When there is two aggr with equal amount of free space,

Then the number of volume per aggr and the number of relationship per aggr are taken into consideration.

There is Request to specific the aggr for root volume provisioning of the vFiler.

Pls add your case or customer to the Bug.

Regards

adai

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

adaikkap

DFM uses it internal resource selection algorithm in choosing the aggr to provision.

User doesn't have control  on specific the aggr for the root volume of the vFiler, in vFiler workflow.

Though in dataset work flow, you have little control, ie its same as the aggr on which the first data volume is provisioned.

Using Manual Resource Selection you can choose in which aggr you want your data volume to be.So in that process the root volume is created on

the aggr of the first data volume to be provisioned.

Hope it helps.

Regards

adai

parrizas

Thanks for the quick answer.

As part of a Cloud Provisioning POC for a customer, we are integrating DFM with a "new tenant" provisioning workflow controlled by BMC Atrium Orchestrator.

The first step of the workflow is creating and setting up the vfiler for the new tenant. At this step, we haven't yet created any dataset for the tenant so I may not use the second approach (select a DS physical resource)

Regarding the algorithm you mention, is somehow easy to predict where the root volume for the vfiler will be created?, i.e: root aggregate, aggr free space, disk type (SAS, SATA).

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Alfonso

adaikkap

Aggr with most free space.

When there is two aggr with equal amount of free space,

Then the number of volume per aggr and the number of relationship per aggr are taken into consideration.

There is Request to specific the aggr for root volume provisioning of the vFiler.

Pls add your case or customer to the Bug.

Regards

adai

scottgelb

One restriction is you can not specify the name of the root volume for the vfiler.  That would be nice to enter a volume name to fit a standard you need..

Also, I have noticed that the provisioning does not edit /etc/rc of vfiler0 to add "vfiler run vfilername route add default" which you may need...so check to make sure the default route is added for the vfiler..if not, it is not fully provisioned automatically if you need a default route...or other host/net route statements for the vfiler.

Public