Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

How does caching work?

kiessl

Hi,

I have the following situation:

With one workflow I create an igroup.

With a second workflow I create a LUN and want to map this LUN to the igroup created in the first workflow.

In the second workflow a query input field searches for existing igroups in the WFA database. But it  needs a considerable amount of time until the newly created igroup is showing up in the query input field. Even after lowering the WFA data source schedule interval to 10 minutes it needs more than 10 minutes to discover the newly created igroup (probably because of the DFM discovery intervall).

I thought that WFA is caching the data it is generating. Does this not apply to igroups? Or do I have to configure something to cache the newly created igroup?

Best Regards

Walter

4 REPLIES 4

shailaja

Hi Walter,

What version of WFA are you using ?

Only from 2.0.1, the user input queries will display the items that were just created through WFA.

>>I thought that WFA is caching the data it is generating. Does this not apply to igroups?

Yes, WFA supports caching the data it generates. This is called as reservations.

This works only for certified commands where it is internally implemented and cannot work for custom commands. Please check if you are using the certified command.

Also, please ensure that the following two flags are true:

- In the workflow you are trying, Edit workflow -> Setup -> Consider reserved elements.

- In Administration -> Wfa Configuration -> Other tab --> "Enable reservation for certified commands"

For the scenario you mention above, both the certified commands "Create igroup" on 7-mode as well as Clustered Data ONTAP, the reservations are enabled.

So, we will need to check why it did not work in your scenario. If the above does not work out, please paste the DAR file for your two workflows.

Thanks,

Shailaja

kiessl

Hi Shailaja,

thanks for the answer.

I am using WFA2.1RC1 and both flags are set to true.

But  I am using custom commands exclusively.

Why can reservation not be used  for custom commands?

Best Regards

Walter

shailaja

Hi,

>>Why can reservation not be used  for custom commands?

Currently, we have internal scripts to handle reservations for certified commands and hence they are not enabled for custom commands.

We do have an enhancement request filed for providing this support for custom commands.

In this particular scenario, can you please let us know whether the in-built "Create IGroup" command was not usable for your workflow?

Thanks,

Shailaja

kiessl

Hi Shailaja,

sorry for the late reply.

I do generally not use commands from other sources than me. Even if I could use the command unchanged, I would use a clone of the original command.

The main reason for this is that I do not want to check all commands after an update of WFA:

• Is the command available in the new WFA version or has somebody dropped it?
  • Has the command changed?
  • Do the changes confirm to my environment?

Best Regards

Walter

Public