Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

How important is WFA's Windows 2008 "Enterprise Edition" recommendation

korns

Just noticed that WFA 2.1 install guide states the EE Enterprise Edition is "recommended". We're installing it on a Standard Edition and haven't seen problems so far but wondering why EE is recommended.

5 REPLIES 5

SeanLuce

I am only speculating... I am going to assume that it is just what has been tested.  For what it's worth, I run WFA on my Windows 8 system with no issues.

hill

To add to Sean's response, yes, typically what's officially recommended is based on what has been tested and confirmed internally.  I'm honestly not aware of the various platforms leveraged for the QA & Validation processes, but I can tell you I've run WFA on a variety of flavors of Windows over the years.  Windows XP*, Windows 7* 32bit & 64bit, Windows Server 2003*, Windows Server 2008*.  I'm now using Windows Server 2012* VMs, and WFA is working just fine. 

I WILL say that I DO hope that the QA folks start standing up some Windows Server 2012 VMs soon, so they can recommend both a Windows 2008 AND a Windows 2012 configuration for future versions of WFA.  Many of our customers have already moved or will soon be moving to a flavor of Windows Sever 2012.

sharaf

Hi Kevin

The QA team is tetsing with Windows 2008 and Windows 2012 too. We have not seen issues.

Configurations are also listed in IMT

Regards

Sharaf

hill

Hi Sharaf,

Thanks for the reminder that we should all be checking the Interoperability Matrix Tool (IMT)

Kevin.

adaikkap

Hi Dave,

As far as I researched and found, there is not much difference in installing WFA on Standard or Enterprise.

I did some google search and found this as the difference between S & E edition of W2k8.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/OS%20Spec%20STDvENT_FINAL.pdf

None of these are used in WFA that make a difference in using standard vs enterprise version.

Hope this helps.

Regards

adai

Public