Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

How to protect a volume with ~1000 Qtrees with PM?

niels

Hi folks,

I'm currently trying to set up a customer demo that involves PM-managed backups.

Caveat: The source volume contains 996 Qtrees. The Dataset never reaches conformance as PM fails to create more than 253 relationships as the source volumes runs out of snapshots.

Any idea how to protect volumes with >250 Qtrees?

Also all Qtrees from a single volume should be SV'ed to the same secondary volume, hence I have to set the following option accordingly:

pmMaxSvRelsPerSecondaryVol   1000

I know it's far beyond the default 50, but should I expect any negative impact?

regards, Niels

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adaikkap

Hi Niels,

Yes you can do it. For each qtree on the primary snapvault creates a base snapshot, on first update all off them are coalesced into one base snapshot. Below is a example.

fas-sim-1> qtree status OneThousand

Volume   Tree     Style Oplocks  Status

-------- -------- ----- -------- ---------

OneThousand          unix  enabled  normal

OneThousand one      unix  enabled  normal

OneThousand three    unix  enabled  normal

OneThousand two      unix  enabled  normal

fas-sim-1>

After SnapVault Start/Create Relationship job

fas-sim-1> snap list OneThousand

Volume OneThousand

working...

%/used       %/total  date          name

----------  ----------  ------------  --------

21% (21%)    0% ( 0%)  Apr 15 11:31  fas-sim-2(0099931872)_OneThousand_backup_one-src.0 (snapvault)

36% (23%)    0% ( 0%)  Apr 15 11:31  fas-sim-2(0099931872)_OneThousand_backup_OneThousand_fas-sim-1_OneThousand-src.0 (snapvault)

46% (23%)    0% ( 0%)  Apr 15 11:31  fas-sim-2(0099931872)_OneThousand_backup_two-src.0 (snapvault)

53% (21%)    0% ( 0%)  Apr 15 11:31  fas-sim-2(0099931872)_OneThousand_backup_three-src.0 (snapvault)

fas-sim-1>

After SnapVault Update/Protect Now

fas-sim-1> snap list OneThousand

Volume OneThousand

working...

%/used       %/total  date          name

----------  ----------  ------------  --------

27% (27%)    0% ( 0%)  Apr 15 11:39  dfpm_base(OneThousand.436)conn1.0 (snapvault,acs)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<SV Base Snapshot with dataset name & id

39% (21%)    0% ( 0%)  Apr 15 11:38  2012-04-16 12:40:54 daily_fas-sim-1_OneThousand.-.one.three.two<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Backup snapshot created by Protect Now.

fas-sim-1>

As the max snapshot per volume is 255, after creating 255 qtree snapvault relationships the dataset will become non-conformant with error saying no snapshot available.

Now run a Protect Now from Protection Manager, all this 255 will be coalesce into one. But still the dataset will show the conformance status as non-conformant.Click on the same and say conform now.

PM will now create relation for next 253 qtree ( as one is already used by dfpm_base and other by the backup snapshot of PM).Once this is done, again it will fail due to non availability of snapshot.

Run Protect now. Keep doing the same until all 1000 qtrees are snapvaulted.

The down side is that, max concurrent SV stream per controller is limited and various with the following.

ONTAP Version

FAS Model

NearStore License being enabled or not.

The regular scheduled updates of this volume, will consume all SV threads until its finished and can increase the back window and delay  snapshot creation on the secondary as alll 1000 needs to be snapvaulted before a SV snapshot can be created on the destination. This is the only downside I can think of.

This limit for 50 was done mainly for QSM as each qtree in a QSM needs a base snapshot and only remaining 205 would be available for long term retention as max snapshots per volume is only 255.

Also do remember the options you are changing is a global option and applies to all dataset creating SV relationship.

Regards

adai

Regards

adai

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Public