Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

How to pull Effective Used figure from DFM on a CIFS client system?

reide

IHAC who provides CIFS shares to their customers as a managed service. They want the customer to be able to pull the "Effective Used" figure from DFM 4.0 for their particular CIFS share. This field comes from the "Volume Space Savings" report" and it reports how much data the customer has written to the volume (vs. physically stored). They don't want the customer to see this entire report, they just want the customer to be able to pull this one figure for their particular CIFS share.

What would be the easiest way to allow a customer to do this on-demand?  On-demand rules out scheduling a report in DFM and e-mailing it to the customer on a regular basis.

• They could make a read-only ODBC/JDBC connection to the DFM database, but that seems like an awful lot of overhead to just grab one field from the DB.
  • They could use the Open Management APIs with a Perl script, but I'm not sure how to do this. Can I use the open APIs to grab this field from DFM, or are these APIs only for storage services?
  • If the DFM server runs in Linux they could create a script that SSHs to the DFM server, runs the report, and parses the ouput for the Effective Used field.

Are there any other ways to accomplish this that I haven't thought of?  Just looking for a lightweight & secure way to allow a customer to get this information for their CIFS share.

2 REPLIES 2

adaikkap

Do they use quotas ? If yes, then that give exactly what the customer wrote irrespective of the dedupe savings.

As user/tree/group quotas work on the logical level and dedupe on the block level.

Regards

adai

reide

I should have been more specific. They use volumes assigned to vfilers, which are then shared out via CIFS.  So, they want to see this information on the volume level.

Even if it was on a qtree level, we'd have the same question.  How can we easily view that number from the CIFS client machine?   Can you pull quota info or Effective Used via the open management APIs?

Public