Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Import of external SM relationship in Protection Manager

muhammad_i_pasha

Hi,

As I understand, in dfm 4.0 you need to create a dataset with source in it and apply protection policy to dataset before you can run import wizard on external relationship. Problem I am facing is when you apply policy to dataset and chose destination it comes up with an error message and complains about size of destination. I suspect it’s because destination is restricted (SM destination) and PA not able to calculate size of it.

Do we need to break the SM relationship before importing or is there something I am missing?

Thanks.

23 REPLIES 23

smoot

Typically, people import relationships if either they have existing relationships they'd like to manage, or they want more control over the volume and qtree names (IOW you don't like the names Protection Manager chooses).

If you're not in either case, you're almost certainly better off letting Protection Manager create relationships for you.

christop

Pete:

In our case, we have existing relaitonships and don't want to go through the hassle of changing the snapmirror schedule for each and every one.

I did try to import the relationships into datasets for monitoring only, but I discovered that when I get an alert for a dataset lag it doesn't specify which snapmirror relationship is lagging.  This requires quite a bit of investigation if multiple relationships are in a dataset.

If the snapmirror lag errors for the datasets specified the offending relationship, managing the relationships at the dataset level would have been an option for us.

Thanks,

Chris

adaikkap

Hi Chris,

Doing a dfpm dataset list -R will give you the lag value, using which you can identify the specific relationship.Also in the NMC clicking on the connection will list you all the relationship of the dataset and the one above the lag value in red color with icons, which should take no time in identify the relationship

Regards

adai

Public