Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Installing OnCommand Host Package 1.1 with existing VSC 2.1.2

ASUNDSTROM

We are beginning to install OnCommand Core and the Host Package.  Our current environment consists of vSphere 4.1 and FAS3240's set up in an HA pair, with a DR FAS 3240 for replication.

Currently we are using VSC 2.1.1 for Provisioning and Backups.  Our implementation of OnCommand 5 will use a separate Windows 2008 R2 x64 host for OnCommand Core and another one for the Host Package.  I have installed OC Core and configured it with our Filers, now I'm looking at installing the Host Package. And have the following questions:

1. If we are installing Host Services on a separate server from both the Core Services Server and vCenter, then does Host Package Installer try to install any components on either the vCenter Server or the Core Services Server?
    • If so, what credential does the installer use? 
    • Is the account specified in the Plug-in Service and vCenter Server Information screen, used for the installation of the plugin on vCenter or just for the operations afterwards? 
    • The documentation does not list any of the required permissions for either of the accounts that connect to vCenter or the OC Core Server.
  2. Can Host Package co-exist with a previously installed\utilized Virtual Storage Console 2.1?
    • If so, during the installation it complains that VSC already exists and needs to be uninstalled. I have tried to stop the NetApp Services on the vCenter server, before the Host Package installation to get around it, but it still errs "The existing Backup and Recovery or Provisioning and Cloning operations must be un-installed in order to proceed with the installation".
    • I could select “continue if validation fails.” but if I continue, will the installation be complete?
  3. Since we have VSC currently installed and running backups, are those backups going to be usable after this installation of the Host Package?
    • If I have to uninstall VSC for the complete Host Package installation, will I lose the VSC backup history?

14 REPLIES 14
Public