Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Is it possible to use OnCommand to provisioning a new volume and share/export the volume - not a qtree below the volume?

serik

Hi

So basicly I want to use Provisioning Manager to provisioning a NAS volume, where the new dataset is a new volume without any qtree's in the volume.

I would like to share/export the volume itself, not a qtree below.

I've found that I can set "maxQtreesPerVolume" to one, but I still get a qtree below the volume.

Any help appreciated.

regards Erik

8 REPLIES 8

adaikkap

Hi Erik,

Today the product doesn't allow creation of volumes for NAS with exports.

It always creates qtree with/without exports.

One way I can think to achieve this is by using a SAN policy(volume creation)

And adding the exports or shares for the volume using post provisioning scripts.

But the volume properties will be optimized for a SAN container.

Otherwise set the max qtrees per volume as 1 and create a qtree with as large as the required volume size.

Latter in the post provisioning script delete the qtree its quota,share/export and then add export or share for the volume.

I know it a round about way, but this is what I can think off to achieve this.

Just curious as to why you want NAS volume provisioning instead of qtree ?

Regards

adai

serik

Hi and thanks adai

Actually this is a request from a long time NetApp customer. They used to have qtree shares/exports, but now they want to avoid the qtree level (or they just dont use qtrees because they see no need for them).

They have few, but large volumes (appr 2-6TB) and I actually don't know why they want to avoid qtrees - but resizing might be an issue.

They are currently not using OnCommand, but are feeling the pain in all the manual steps necessary to set up a volume, configure protection (using VSM) and configuring the CIFS/NFS share parameters.

I feel that the possibility to provision volumes without qtrees and setting the nos qtree per volume should be integrated in the GUI in an upcoming version.

regards Erik

sinhaa

Hello Erik

@  and I actually don't know why they want to avoid qtrees - but resizing might be an issue.

Provisioning manager provides very easy resizing mechanism for both Qtrees and Volumes. So if its a problem here, we have some useful solution.

Having a Qtree doesn't have any disadvantage that one might want to avoid it. It just allows an extra parameter that user may use ( or not if he/she wishes otherwise).

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

bipul34_gogoi

How to set "maxQtreesPerVolume" please

kandati

Here is the way to set it,

[root@lnx186-88 ~]# dfm option set maxQtreesPerVolume=20
Changed maximum qtrees per volume to 20.

bipul34_gogoi

Thanks , But its not showing in the option list ,

after i type the command its set ,

How to check the previous or default value .....

kandati

It's a hidden option. By default it will be having the value as 15. Once user changes it then it will be shown in the "dfm option list" output

bipul34_gogoi

I donot find this option in dfm man pages ..

Can you please tell me where do you find the default value please

Public