Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Is there a must to insatll the Disaster Recovery Manager in DFM to get the snapmirror alerts?

tatlee

The user wants to monitor the snapmirror information, especially if the snapmirror lag time is breached. Is there a must to use DRM to monitor, or is there other ways to create the alert?

Cheers!

Terrence

7 REPLIES 7

BrendonHiggins

That is my understanding.

I have created a bat file which I run from my pc which passes the command

rsh %FILER01% -l %RSHPERM% "snapmirror status filer:volume" >>c:\Logfiles\%COMPUTERNAME%_SnapMirrorList.txt

and just repeat for every snapmirror.

We also use MOM and have used the NetApp SDK to use VBS to poll the snapmirrors witch have 15 minute updates.

Hope this helps

Bren

tatlee

Hi Brendon,

Thanks...But how to get the alert when the lag time is over, that means the sanpmirror is not working properly. Also, is there able to get an email alert when this happen? Otherwise, the user will not know until the check on the messages.

Cheers!

Terrence.

adaikkap

Snapmirror status monitoring requires BCO or Protection Manager license.

You can use the dfm run command to run commands on filers.And get the snapmirror status and use script plugin to generate

custom events and generate alarms.

lnx186-149:/opt/NTAPdfm/log # dfm run cmd 80 snapmirror status
Job: 2
Host: f6070-218-40.lab.eng.btc.netapp.in
Command: snapmirror status
Submitted: Tue Feb 10 01:43:04 2009
Attempts: 1
Login Protocol: rsh
Use RLM Port: No
Started: Tue Feb 10 01:43:04 2009
Completed: Tue Feb 10 01:43:05 2009
Stdout: Snapmirror is on.
Stdout: Source                                         Destination                                     State          Lag        Status
Stdout: f6070-218-40.lab.eng.btc.netapp.in:src_mirror  f6070-218-40:dst_mirror                         Snapmirrored   00:12:07   Idle
Stdout: f6070-218-40:vm_nfs                            f6070-218-40:ossv_vol                           Uninitialized  -          Idle
Stdout: f6070-218-40:test                              f6070-218-41:test_sec                           Source         2354:16:26  Idle
Stdout: f6070-218-40:/vol/sims_218_22/-                r200-183-211:/vol/SIMULATOR_MIRROR/sims_218_22  Source         2405:05:30  Idle
Stdout: f6070-218-40:/vol/sims_218_23/-                r200-183-211:/vol/SIMULATOR_MIRROR/sims_218_23  Source         2405:05:21  Idle
lnx186-149:/opt/NTAPdfm/log #

If you have any of the license mentioned, Then you can get the snapmirror lag warning and error evet for all filers monitored by dfm.

by default snapmirrorLagWarningThreshold is 1.5 days,

snapmirrorLagErrorThreshold is 2.0 days.

which can be changed.

tatlee

Adaikkappan,

Thanks....Will let the customer to buy the license then.

Cheers,

Terrence

tatlee

Hi,

The Protection Manager and Protection Manager DR licenses are installed, but still cannot get the snapmirror lag alarms. There were several snapmirrors having a lag time for more than 4 weeks, but didn't get the alarms. Any idea?

I have attached the screenshots.

adaikkap

Hi  Lee,

Ops-Mgr monitoring snapmirror generates an event for the relationships like this for lag.

[root@lnx]# dfm eventtype list -C sm.lag
Event Name                                         Severity     Class
-------------------------------------------------- ------------ ------------------
snapmirror:date-ok                            Normal       sm.lag
snapmirror:deleted                            Information  sm.lag
snapmirror:nearly-out-of-date                 Warning      sm.lag
snapmirror:out-of-date                        Error        sm.lag
[root@]#

What you are showing is the PA threshold, I dont thing so both are same.

AFAIK That threshold is for the counter value and has nothing to do with the snapmirror lag that you have attached.

Can you try creating an alert in Ops-Mgr for this event i mentioned above and see you get the event.

Regards

adai

tatlee

Hi Adai,

I have created the snapmirror:nearly-out of-date and snapmirror:out-of-date alarms in DFM long time ago, but still cannot get the alerts.

Public