Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Is there a way to find out any volumes\qtrees not in any Dataset in protection manager.

MIP_GMT01

Hi, Is there a way to find out any volumes\qtrees which are not in any Dataset in protection manager? Basically we backup everything through PM so I am trying to figure out is there any volumes on Filer which are not in DS and thus not getting backed up or replicated. Would appreciate your help. Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

adaikkap

Hi Muhammad,

Again this is not available but can be got using a API. IIRC i have a working script using the api to get a list of volumes/qtrees that are not protected by PM.Let me dig and get you something tomorrow.

BTW what version of DFM are you using ? I suggest you upgrade to 5.2RC or atleast 5.1.D1.

Regards

adai

adaikkap

Here is a sample report

FilerNamevFilerNameSourcePathNameType

The source path will contain either volume or qtree name and its distinguished using the type column as volume or qtree.

BTW here is the definition of UnProtected that this script will generate.

List all Unprotected Data: The definition of unprotected in this script is as follows.:

• A volume is un-protected only if its not VSM‘ed or none of its Qtrees are QSM’ed
  • A Qtree is un-protected only if its neither part of volme that’s VSM’ed nor QSMed.

If this is the exact definition of your unprotected and the sample report is what you need, then I will share the script that can generate the same.

Regards

adai

rle
NetApp Alumni

Hi Muhammad and Adai,

I have published a blog post about finding volumes not is a dataset.  I hope it helps.

Regards,

- Rick -

adaikkap

Thats awesome BABA Rick . very quick turnaround.

BTW does your code take care of the unprotected definition  in my earlier post ?

Regards

adai

rle
NetApp Alumni

Hi Adai,

Unfortunately the program doesn't follow your unprotected definition.  It just checks for volumes that are not in a dataset and assumes that if the volume is not in a dataset, it is unprotected.

Kind regards,

- Rick -

MIP_GMT01

Hi Rick,

Thank you for reply.

Is it possible to get this script in power shell as we have all windows based infrastructure.

Many Thanks,

Muhammad

rle
NetApp Alumni

Hi Muhammad,

I do not know of a PowerShell library for OnCommand APIs like there is for ONTAP APIs.  I know of 2 alternatives:

1. Code in C# with Visual Studio.

2. Download Perl from http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/downloads.

Regards,

- Rick -

adaikkap

Hi Muhammand,

The script is only in perl, for the sole reason that its OS agnostic and we can leverage it at multiple customer.

If you want the same in powershell you will have to write your own using the logic of the perl script.

The more ROI is on perl than powershell at least for the large adoption of this script.

Regards

adai

MIP_GMT01

Thank you Rick and Adai.

Can you please direct me to any blog\artical regarding the use DFM APIs in powershell. Will appreciate any help. Thanks

Public