Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Managing ONTAP7 simulators with Systems Manager 1.1 and Ops Manager 4

druddle00

Hi all,

Another question on Systems Manager, this time 1.1.  How many ONTAP7 simulator instances can you manage with Systems Manager ?  I have one filer and one cluster simulator and I added the single filer OK, but when I do a Discover on the subnet, it finds the 2 cluster filer simulators but when I select add it doesnt do anything.

Incidentally, I just tried to manage them all with Operations Manager and its the same problem - I can only manage the first one I entered.  All ONTAP7 simulator instances are on a Ubuntu VM running under VMWare workstation 7, and all live on the same 192.168.73 subnet.

Any ideas ?

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

danielpr

Dave,

You need to modify the system id to keep unique or else the discovery will fail saying that system already exists.

the snippet of FAQ from my blog  follows

15. Is it possible to change the default system SERIAL number 987654-32-0 in Netapp simulator ?

7 G Simulator :     Halt the simulator if its running.  Create a new file ",sys-serial-num" in the same directory as maytag executable.  As the first line, type the serial number desired.  Start the simulator.

Data ONTAP 8 :

First halt the VSIM and enter into the bootloader prompt. Set the new  serial ID there as shown.

SIMLOADER> set SYS_SERIAL_NUM="987654-32-1"

SIMLOADER> boot

On booting if the system complains that it can't find it's disks then that's because software disk ownership is doing the right thing and keeping the disks allocated to the older system (old serial number). If so, ctrl-c into

maintenance mode and re-assign the disks to the new ID.

Hope this helps

http://communities.netapp.com/blogs/fitforpurpose/2009/09/06/data-ontap-simulator-installation-simple-steps-and-frequently-asked-questions

Thanks

Daniel

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

thearle

Need to change the simulators system id because this is how OPS manager and system manager stores its information about filers

danielpr

Dave,

You need to modify the system id to keep unique or else the discovery will fail saying that system already exists.

the snippet of FAQ from my blog  follows

15. Is it possible to change the default system SERIAL number 987654-32-0 in Netapp simulator ?

7 G Simulator :     Halt the simulator if its running.  Create a new file ",sys-serial-num" in the same directory as maytag executable.  As the first line, type the serial number desired.  Start the simulator.

Data ONTAP 8 :

First halt the VSIM and enter into the bootloader prompt. Set the new  serial ID there as shown.

SIMLOADER> set SYS_SERIAL_NUM="987654-32-1"

SIMLOADER> boot

On booting if the system complains that it can't find it's disks then that's because software disk ownership is doing the right thing and keeping the disks allocated to the older system (old serial number). If so, ctrl-c into

maintenance mode and re-assign the disks to the new ID.

Hope this helps

http://communities.netapp.com/blogs/fitforpurpose/2009/09/06/data-ontap-simulator-installation-simple-steps-and-frequently-asked-questions

Thanks

Daniel

Public