Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Multiple Ops Mgr Servers managing storage systems

daron

Can you have more than one DFM/Ops Mgr Servers manage/have access to a single storage system? I have one DFM 3.8 Server and one DFM 4.0.2 Server installed and wanting both to manage a single storage system if possible.  Can you input multiple servers in the Ops Mgr Access field in FilerView of the single storage system?

Thanks

Daron Henson

2 REPLIES 2

ADAM_SEKORA

Hi Daron,

This is discussed in an existing post:

http://communities.netapp.com/message/12381#12381

Essentially, the answer is no. I foresee the potential to have a variety of configuration/option thrashing issues, whereby one DFM would start fighting with the other DFM to execute actions. Overall, (IMHO) I feel this would be fairly dangerous to the integrity of both the data and the configurations and I wouldn't recommend trying.

However, having said that... yes, I believe (have not tested) that you could *technically* point two DFM's at one filer and I suspect it would work. Keep in mind that this is unsupported and should you run into dataloss you'd likely be SOL.

I suspect my only question would be what is the use case here? What are you aiming to accomplish?

Regards,

Adam S.

adaikkap

Hi Daron,

Can you have more than one DFM/Ops Mgr Servers manage/have access to a single storage system? I have one DFM 3.8 Server and one DFM 4.0.2 Server installed and wanting both to manage a single storage system if possible.

If its just monitoring/alerting/performance management then yes.But you load the storage system twice by monitoring.Also you will get twice the number of alerts like volume full, quota full etc.

BTW why do you want to do it ? Is there a reason behind it ?

If its active management like, configuration management, protection manger,provisioning manger then I would not.

Can you input multiple servers in the Ops Mgr Access field in FilerView of the single storage system?

I doubt it allows. I thought its always one.

Regards

adai

Public