Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OCUM 7.3- What service you use for SMS alerts and how have you set it up?

KUBER_KATANA1

I am currently using click-a-tell service to let OCUM send out the alerts as SMS but it's not an ideal solution as the alert you get is bit generic and not specific eg. It tells you that a volume is full but does not tell you which volume.

I was wondering if there is a better solution out there which give more specific alerts.

Please share if you are using a better one.

Thanks in advance

KS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EWILTS_SAS

2 immediate options to consider.

1.  Many (most?  all?) cell phone providers offer an email address that will send an SMS message to your phone.  All of the major providers in the US do so.

2.  We use PagerDuty for alerting.  This is a full-fledged alerting system with automatic escalation, on-call rotations, etc.  This is a commercial service - pricing is on their web site.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GidonMarcus

Hi

Is it not better to use an email rather text? (char limit, security, cross platform etc...)

there's a few good mail clients/plug-ins that you can set custom rules for what notification you want to know about and what to ignore (i'm using Microsoft Flow)

Anyway. seeing your post pushed me to publish a post i was sitting on for few days...

HOW-TO: consume parameters from OCUM on a PowerShell script and generate a custom email/ticket

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

KUBER_KATANA1
Thanks for your reply Gidi.

I already have emails going with all the right filtering etc etc...

I don’t want to monitor my email at night. I only want to be alerted via sms. Hope this clears my questions.

Thanks again.

GidonMarcus

Hi

i was referring to tools that you install on your mobile and filter what email you want to get push notification and for what not.

if you have existing SMS infrastructure you can use the script i published to customize the message from OCUM before passing it to the SMS infrastructure via API/Email..

i can't recommend a specific one. and i think there's no global top service with very low flat-rate - every country will likely to have a local cheaper provider...

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

EWILTS_SAS

2 immediate options to consider.

1.  Many (most?  all?) cell phone providers offer an email address that will send an SMS message to your phone.  All of the major providers in the US do so.

2.  We use PagerDuty for alerting.  This is a full-fledged alerting system with automatic escalation, on-call rotations, etc.  This is a commercial service - pricing is on their web site.

Satishch

Hi EWILTS_SAS

We are planning to integrate OCUM with Pagerduty as well. 

Can you please provide some guidelines around this topic?

Kind Regards,

Satish

EWILTS_SAS

We configured PagerDuty with email integration.  This allows us to send email to PagerDuty which then triggers the notification policy.  It's not optimal but it does work.

Public