Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OM Update from 3.6R1 to 3.8 and RHEL ES Rel3 to RHELServer 5.3 in one dash?

jwagmuel
IHAC who would like to update OM from 3.6R1 to 3.8 but also needs to upgrade his OS Platform from RHEL ES Rel3 to RHELServer 5.3.
Any issues in doing so using one of the methodes below, even accross OS and OM Versions? Which one is better?
dfm backup backup / restore or
dfm datastore setup -d/-n <dfm-data-dir>
Thanks,
Johannes
2 REPLIES 2

RichardSopp

In the 6 years I've been using OM as a customer I've found dfm backup backup / restore to be the best option.

I've used it to migrate between different Windows O/S and used it to migrate a database between a existing system and a new system running a later version with no down time to the existing system.

If you use the OM for configuration management the only thing I've found to be missing for the database backups is newer configuration templates you may have installed after deploying a version of ONTAP that was released after the version of OM you are running. Everything else seems to come across including Performance Advisor data (should you use that component).

Another plus of the restore process is it upgrades the database schema when restoring into a later version of the application and maintains all the historical data.

I can't really talk to your second option as I've never tried it or used the command, so this will come over a biased pro backup / restore thumbs up !!

Hope this helps.

jwagmuel

Richard,

Thank you for your advise!

Regards,

Johannes

Public