Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OnCommand Core - Operations Manager configuration

pedro_rocha

Hello all,

Always when I am configuring the OnCommand Operations Manager portion, I get the following doubt: when configuring the ip address for the data collection feature, I tend to select the management port ip address. Which makes sense.

But on the page where I configure this, I have the NDMP status field. Which could show a failed status if the management port is configured for management traffic only (which I also think is the correct setting). So this is a normal bahavior? How should I set up this?

Regards,

Pedro Rocha.

10 REPLIES 10

adaikkap

Hi Pedro,

e0m can be blocked from having “data” traveling over it in 8.0.2 and higher:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMM1277792

p36

Blocking data traffic on e0M

Starting with Data ONTAP 8.0.2, you can block certain types of data traffic on the e0M interface, including SnapMirror transfers, SnapVault transfers, and data transfers that use the CIFS, NFS, and NDMP protocols. This optimizes the system performance by not allowing high-bandwidth data traffic on e0M, which is a low-bandwidth dedicated management interface. 

This task needs to be performed for storage systems that are upgraded to Data ONTAP 8.0.2 because the default value of the interface.blocked.mgmt_data_traffic option is off in such systems. However, in new systems installed with Data ONTAP 8.0.2, the default value of the interface.blocked.mgmt_data_traffic option is on.

Step

1. 1. To block all types of data traffic on e0M, enter the following command:

options interface.blocked.mgmt_data_traffic on

Or ONTAP can block certain protocols:

P37

Restricting protocol access

If a protocol is enabled for Data ONTAP, you can restrict the protocol's access to the storage system by specifying the host name, IP address, or network interface name.

• protocol is the name of the protocol you want to allow access to the storage system. It can

be rsh, telnet, ssh, httpd, httpd.admin, snmp, ndmpd, snapmirror, or snapvault.

Hope this helps and explains why NDMP is showing down.

pedro_rocha

Hello Adaikkappan,

Thanks a lot for all the information.

But look: I am supposed to specify the management interface IP address for data collection, right?

If I configure this, NDMP traffic will be on the management interface. Is that recommended? Is there a way to configure 2 IP addresses, one for data collection and the other for NDMP?

Best wishes,

Pedro Rocha.

adaikkap

The e0m is a low bandwidth interface and may not be suitable for data traffic(snapmirror/snapvault). Also you DFM/OC can talk to two interface.

But if you are routing your data using preferred interface using connections then you can use e0m in dfm and specify other interfaces for data traffic in

hostpreferredAddr1 and Addr2 for QSM and VSM connections.

ndmpd_preferred_interface for SV.

Regards

adai

pedro_rocha

Hi,

But where in OC/DFM I can specify two different ip addresses? One for monitoring and the other for data traffic?

Regards,

Pedro.

stjerna

Hi,

In the case of NDMP, on the NetApp controller, you can set an option to specify where you want NDMP to occur:

"options ndmpd.preferred_interface <interface_name>" where interface_name is the name of a physical interface or a port aggregation or a tagged VLAN interface - wherever you want it.

DFM will then honor that setting and only use the specified interface for NDMP. This also works for command line SnapVault.

Hope this helps,

Erik

pedro_rocha

Well, how can I add the controller to OC/DFM using the management interface ip address without having NDMP status DOWN and without using the management interface for data traffic?

If I add the controller using the management interface ip address, my NDMP status field is DOWN. If I use the data interface ip address instead, NDMP status is UP.

adaikkap

Hi Pedro,

You will have to do this.

options interface.blocked.mgmt_data_traffic YES.

This way NDMP status will be up but data traffic will not be routed using e0m as we are setting the preferred interface

for SV/QSM/VSM

For SV relationships:

Setup the following option on the filer.

options ndmpd.preferred_interface <interface_name>

For QSM and VSM do the following.

Set the hostPreferredAddr1 on the source and destination filer with data mgmt IP addres, using the following cli dfm host set<filer-id> hostPreferredAddr1=data_mgmt_ip_address

BTW for QSM and VSM we will create a connection entry with the following IP address on the source and destination.

So that DFM/OC uses the e0m for all SNMP and API traffic for monitoring, and uses the datamgmt IP address specified to run backup/mirror.

Regards

adai

pedro_rocha

Hi!

Consider this environment:

- e0M: 192.168.70.167

- vif_nas-48: 192.168.2.167

- ndmpd.preferred_interface vif_nas-48

- interface.blocked.mgmt_data_traffic on

- DFM is configured as in C2_dfmhostget.png

Is this the configuration that you suggested?

Please take a look at the other 2 images where NDMP is shown as down. Is this the way it should appear?

Best wishes,

Pedro Rocha.

adaikkap

Hi Pedro,

First let me tell you how to make this work. Later explain you the same.

Turn this option value to OFF.

interface.blocked.mgmt_data_traffic off.

This mean that we are allowing data traffice through e0m. That way DFM is happy and NDMP status would be shown as up and good. As DFM always talks to one interface it checks for the NDMP service also in the same interface.

So to make it happy we are enabling the option by setting its value to OFF, which mean allow data traffic.

But in the background we are specifying the options ndmpd.preferred_interface vif_nas-48 which is sitting on a interface other than e0m. This way the data traffic is not happening through e0m instead through the vif.

Note for SV you will have to use ndmpd.preferred_interface on the controller.

For QSM and VSM you will have to use dfm host set <hostid> hostPreferredAddr1=<IP address of interface other than e0m> on both your source and destination filer.

PM will create a connection entry for VSM and QSM in the snapmirror.conf entry of the filer and route the traffic through those interfaces and not through e0m.

Hope this helps and solves your issue too.

Regards

adai

pedro_rocha

Hi Adai,

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your effort on this.

One more thing that is not clear yet. I should leave "interface.blocked.mgmt_data_traffic" OFF?

So I would leave my configuration as follows?

- e0M: 192.168.70.167

- vif_nas-48: 192.168.2.167

- ndmpd.preferred_interface vif_nas-48

- interface.blocked.mgmt_data_traffic off

- hostPreferredAddr1=192.168.2.167

Best wishes,

Pedro

Public