Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OnCommand Host package for vmware

f_duranti

Hi, I need some clarification on how Host Package now works and what to install on a vSphere 5 (the documentation seems a bit confusing).

In the documentation I find that:

OnCommand Host Package no longer supports OnCommand Plug-in for VMware

The features and capabilities provided by the OnCommand Plug-in for VMware are no longer included with OnCommand Host Package.

The features and capabilities provided by Virtual Storage Console (previously known as the OnCommand Plug-in for VMware) are no longer supported in OnCommand Host Package. The documentation for OnCommand Host Package has been updated to reflect these changes.

• All references to graphical user interface components have  been removed. OnCommand Host Package is a services update and does not include any GUI components.

• All references to previously supported Virtual Storage Console capabilities have been removed. This includes:
    • Monitoring and Host Configuration
    • Provisioning and Cloning
    • Backup and Recovery

What does this mean? If I've understood well when installing host package I will not have any  netap plugin on vmware and the provision/protection policy will be managed directly from the OnCommand Core server. Is this right?

Can/Should I install VSC if I want the other functionality of VSC (cloning/smvi/datastore mgt/etc)?

If I install Host Package 1.1 and VSC can I contiune to run backup through VSC ? With 1.0 it was not possible to use SMVI with host package if I remember well...

Thanks

Francesco

5 REPLIES 5

michaeldparker

Hmm .... I am confused too. I had installed 1.0 prior to it being pulled and have it running perfectly on vSphere 4.1. Now in reading the docs, I see I have to uninstall 1.0 to go to 1.1 and it says the GUI components have been removed. I guess I will install this on my test env. to see what is going on.

If someone from NetApp could shed some light on this, the direction the product is taking, how this will affect my existing VMware backups under 1.0, etc. I would appreciate it as well.

Thanks

Michael

Sent from my iPhone

adaikkap

Hi Michael,

how this will affect my existing VMware backups under 1.0, etc. I would appreciate it as well.

Backup taken in 1.0 will be intact and you can continue. HP 1.1 was released mainly to support vsphere 5.0

Regards

adai

michaeldparker

Thanks for the reply, Adai. Based on your responses, it sounds like I am fine to stay on 1.0 since it works for me. At some point, I would assume a 1.2 or higher would come out with a feature I will need, but till then 1.0 is good. Is that a safe assumption then? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

adaikkap

Hi Francesco,

Let me try to answer some of your questions.

What does this mean? If I've understood well when installing host package I will not have any  netap plugin on vmware and the provision/protection policy will be managed directly from the OnCommand Core server. Is this right?

Yes, you will have to use the OnCommand Console to do all that, and cant do it anymore from vSphere.

Can/Should I install VSC if I want the other functionality of VSC (cloning/smvi/datastore mgt/etc)?

AFAIK, yes you can as even earlier, co-existence of VSC and SMVI were supported. So you should be able to going by the same reasoning.Unless someone come back and says no.

If I install Host Package 1.1 and VSC can I contiune to run backup through VSC ? With 1.0 it was not possible to use SMVI with host package if I remember well...

Your reasoning is same as mine."co-existence of VSC and SMVI were supported in HP 1.0. So you should be able to going by the same reasoning"

Regards

adai

f_duranti

Hi Adaikkappan,

THanks for the answer, I'll try to see if it will work.

It would be very nice to be able to continue to use SMVI to backup VMware Datastore because we are trying to integrate it into SnapCreator scheduler (to schedule all backup from a single point) and Host Package to see where and how VM will occupy space.

Regards

Francesco

Public