Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OnCommand Insight Connect API

NOBLECONSULTANT

I have been reading the "OnCommandTM Insight 6.3 Connect API Reference Guide".  I'm working on a project to get storage metrics for a monitoring project.  Initially I was going to look at OnCommand Unified Manager, but the Insight product caught my eye and looked like a it could possibly be a single API option to get visibility to an entire storage network across vendors. 

In a brief reading of the Reference Guide it doesn't look like it provides very detailed data.  Maybe I missed something.  I'm looking for data beyond just storage utilization and would like information on the performance of the devices, IOPs, etc.

Is anyone using OnCommand Insight for that level of monitoring and decision making?  Are you using the API? 

Are their any other documents I should look at?

Thanks. 

7 REPLIES 7

jonas

Hi Patrick .

The current version of the API does not present performance data.

I have herd roomers that it might be in the next major, v7.

Regards

Jonas Enhörning

Duke Systems AB

08 765 48 80

070 886 18 55

14 dec 2013 kl. 20:47 skrev "patrick brewer" <xdl-communities@communities.netapp.com<mailto:xdl-communities@communities.netapp.com>>:

<https://communities.netapp.com/index.jspa>

OnCommand Insight Connect API

created by patrick brewer<https://communities.netapp.com/people/NOBLECONSULTANT> in OnCommand Insight - View the full discussion<https://communities.netapp.com/message/122394#122394>

I have been reading the "OnCommandTM Insight 6.3 Connect API Reference Guide". I'm working on a project to get storage metrics for a monitoring project. Initially I was going to look at OnCommand Unified Manager, but the Insight product caught my eye and looked like a it could possibly be a single API option to get visibility to an entire storage network across vendors.

In a brief reading of the Reference Guide it doesn't look like it provides very detailed data. Maybe I missed something. I'm looking for data beyond just storage utilization and would like information on the performance of the devices, IOPs, etc.

Is anyone using OnCommand Insight for that level of monitoring and decision making? Are you using the API?

Are their any other documents I should look at?

Thanks.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on NetApp Community<https://communities.netapp.com/message/122394#122394>

Start a new discussion in OnCommand Insight by email<mailto:discussions-community-products_and_solutions-storage_management_software-oncommand--insight@communities.netapp.com> or at NetApp Community<https://communities.netapp.com/choose-container.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=3203>

ostiguy

Hey Patrick,

We have a web services API, and we also have an open-schema data warehouse - these are 2 different approaches for pulling data out of OCI.

Additionally, OCI can send SNMP traps for a variety of things it has policies/alarms for - that is a push vs a pull approach.

At a raw sample level, OCI has perf data for FC switches and VMware hosts/guests 5 min granularity, and storage arrays 5-15minutes. This data is visible in the OCI client. The DWH will have condense samples of that data for longer term reporting use cases.

Matt

NOBLECONSULTANT

Thanks for the reply.  Is it possible to get the performance data out of OCI via some API or database interaction? Where is the documentation for this access?

Initially we want the perf data for the storage arrays.  In a second phase being able to get the data for the FC switches and VMware from the same place is what makes OCI a good strategic direction.

Any pointers are welcome. 

ostiguy

Hey Patrick

The OCI DWH DB is all open schema - you can install a MySQL ODBC driver, and pull data out through it. We have online documents with schema topologies.

Here is an example of our Volume Hourly Performance table structure

Would you like to chat this afternoon after 1pm US EST?

NOBLECONSULTANT

Thanks for the reply, that is a lot of help.   I'm not really available to chat this week.  I could on Monday, the 23rd if you are available then.  I know timing around the holidays can be crazy. 

Is hourly the shortest time period you have performance data for?  Do you have 10 or 15 minute granularity?

Where can I find the "online documents with schema topologies"?  I haven't seen links to them so far in my searches?

Thanks again.  This has been a great help.

ostiguy

Tues works, but I am out Monday.

For the data warehouse, yes, 1hr is the shortest granularity. We collect array perf at 5 to 15 minute intervals, but that level of granularity is only stored in the operational server, and there is not currently access to that data for integration use cases. This may change in the future, but for now, that data is visible in our client app, but not really available for integration.

Online docs - available on the OCI DWH management server. So, the documentation is in the product itself

NOBLECONSULTANT

I think I have enough to go on for the moment.  I'll take a look at the documentation and let you know if I have more questions.

Thanks!

Public