Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OnCommand System Manager 2.0R1 and DOT 8.1RC2

pedro_rocha

I have recently faced a very bad situation with System Manager 2.0R1 and DOT 8.1RC2. Apparently System Manager 2.0R1 has an issue in reading license information from DOT 8.1RC2 7-Mode.

Not being able to do so, System Manager only manages NAS related protocols and operations from the filer installed with DOT 8.1RC2. I am not able to manage FCP or iSCSI services, neither manage LUNs from System Manager (I can do it using the DOT CLI). Can you believe it?

I contact NetApp support, and they told me this is a bug: 548923

Have anyone faced this too? I think I'll have to wait for DOT 8.1 GA or a fixed System Manager version.

Best regards,

Pedro Rocha.

10 REPLIES 10

udo_braunschweiger

Hello Pedro

We had the same issue

All SW Funtions with License Code "Enabled" must be turned on before you can use it.

So Dedupe, Compression, Nearstore, ISCSI, FCP ... etc

It fact that in OnTap 8.1 there are new options

if you enter options licensed  , you will see them.

If you want to manage LUN's you need to enable the licensed feature.

demo4h2> options license

licensed_feature.disk_sanitization.enable off

licensed_feature.fcp.enable  off

licensed_feature.flexcache_nfs.enable off

licensed_feature.iscsi.enable off

licensed_feature.multistore.enable off

licensed_feature.nearstore_option.enable off

licensed_feature.vld.enable  off

I hope this solves the Issue!!

DANTHEMAN

I had a similar problem so I looked at options licensed and notice this:

licensed_feature.multistore.enable off

Yet I am already running vfiler units.  If I try to "enable" this here it says:

For this platform, a license is required to use this feature.

...But if I look at "license" it shows the license code already there...?  Same thing for FCP

Slightly confused here...

pedro_rocha

Well, I'll try to do it that way udo.braunschweiger said. Unfortunately I'll only be able to do it on January because the customer is on vacation. I'll post here my findings.

Regards,

Pedro

UweRoosAvnet

We have the same issue on a 3210 with Ontap 8.1RC1 with the FC and iSCSI license.

The options licenced.features.fcp.enable on does not help: "For this platform a license is required to use this feature".

On our 2240 we have the same effect with 8.1RC2.

In System Manager 2.0R1 the license shows as disabled.

The CLI shows all licenses and the protocols are working (VMWare Datastore connected via FC).

Just enter the license again via CLI on the 3210 doesn't help.

Enter the license again in System Manager on the 3210 does not help as well (CLI shows license, GUI still shows FC as disabled).

I removed the iscsi license on the cli and add it on the cli again: still iSCSI disabled in Systemmanager 2.0

It seems to be a bug in the whole 8.1RC family, and I cannot see a workaround except use the cli.

Maybe it is related to the planned changes in the license model...

Regards,

Uwe.

pedro_rocha

Same for me. Those options did not solve the issue with FCP/iSCSI/LUN

management through System Manager 2.0R1.

Regards,

Pedro Rocha

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 8:38 AM, UweRoosAvnet <

karthikv

We are working on workaround/fix for the above licensing issue. Please use cli till we have a workaround/fix.

We will communicate once the workaround/fix is ready.

Thanks,

Karthik

UweRoosAvnet

Hi all,

a temporary workaround is this:

Go to Licenses in System Manager. Click on the FC or iSCSI license which shows as disabled. Click on enable.

Now the LUN Menu appeares until you restart yor browser or refresh the page.

Not a nice one, but at least the System Manager can be used for LUNs.

Regards,

Uwe.

gmilazzoitag

This bug causes also a big issue using Snapdrive.

On a WIndows 2008 Server I've installed Snapdrive and licensed it per server with a key for that single host.

Trying to create a LUN from the SD GUI I received a negative message something like this "cannot create the LUN because this functionality is not licensed"

The only way to avoid this issue for me has been to put a Snapdrive license for filer.

I suspect that SD calls by RPC the DOT 8.1RC2 and it answer with some "disabled FCP" license...

Regards

vmsjaak13

Apparently this is fixed in Oncommand System Manager 2.0R1D1, released yesterday: https://now.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/systemmgr_win/2.0R1D1/

Regards,

Niek Baakman

karthikv

The patch has been published, however the Access a Specific release will not be fully functional for this particular patch (a ticket has been raised and will be resolved soon).

In the meantime, please use these links:

https://now.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/systemmgr_lin/2.0R1D1/

https://now.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/systemmgr_win/2.0R1D1/

This is a patch release for the licensing issue. It is advised that only those customers who are hitting the above issue install this patch.

Thanks,

Karthik

Public