Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Passing parameters which include spaces / blank

narendrathawani

I’m trying to create a workflow where I need to remove the default "MyDomin\Domain Admins"   Member  from "BUILTIN\Administrators" Group on a SVM.

On command line, it works as follows:

nas002::> vserver cifs users-and-groups local-group show-members -vserver nas0029 -group-name BUILTIN\Administrators

Vserver        Group Name                              Members

-------------- ----------------------------         ------------------------

nas0029       BUILTIN\Administrators       NAS0029\Administrator

MyDomain\Domain Admins

2 entries were displayed.

nas002::> vserver cifs users-and-groups local-group remove-members -vserver nas0029 -group-name BUILTIN\Administrators -member-names "MyDomain\Domain Admins"

nas002::> vserver cifs users-and-groups local-group show-members -vserver nas0029 -group-name BUILTIN\Administrators

Vserver        Group Name                              Members

-------------- ----------------------------         ------------------------

nas0029       BUILTIN\Administrators       NAS0029\Administrator

nas002::>

But I couldn't make it work on either Powershell or on WFA.

PS C:\Users\abc> Remove-NcCifsLocalGroupMember -Name BUILTIN\Administrators -Member "MyDomain\Domain Admin"
Remove-NcCifsLocalGroupMember : Failed to resolve name "Admin".
At line:1 char:30
+ Remove-NcCifsLocalGroupMember <<<<  -Name BUILTIN\Administrators -Member "MyDomain\Domain Admin"
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (nas002:NcController) [Remove-NcCifsLocalGroupMember], EAPIERROR
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ApiException,DataONTAP.C.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Cifs.RemoveNcCifsLocalGroupMember

PS C:\Users\abc>

On WFA, I created a custom command and passing the values as follows:

Remove-NcCifsLocalGroupMember -Name $LocalGroupName -Member $UserOrGroupName  -ErrorAction Stop

And I get the same error message

Failed to resolve name "Admins".

The command is not accepting blank with  -Member "MyDomain\Domain Admin"  (on PowerShell command line) or  "MyDomain\\Domain Admin"

on WFA.

Has anyone run into issues with passing blank / space ?

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8

sheelnidhig

Try singles quotes (') instead of double quotes (").

,Sheel

olson

This is a known issue

use “`”Domain Admins`””

To get around the problem.

victor_sylvester

I am having a similar problem, using powershell to add a domain user or group with spaces to a local VSM group.

I have used:

add-NcCifsLocalGroupMember -VserverContext uklontst700 -name BUILTIN\Administrators -member "BAM\UK Lon G ISS Wintel"

add-NcCifsLocalGroupMember -VserverContext uklontst700 -name BUILTIN\Administrators -member “"BAM\UK Lon G ISS Wintel"”

and

add-NcCifsLocalGroupMember -VserverContext uklontst700 -name BUILTIN\Administrators -member "`"BAM\UK Lon G ISS Wintel`""

None of which have worked.

narendrathawani

For now, I'm using ssh and seems to be working .. till we have a fix.

$commandString = "vserver cifs users-and-groups local-group remove-members -vserver " + $StorageVirtualMachineName + " -group-name BUILTIN\administrators -member-names " + " `"MS\Domain Admins`" "

Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("Removing Local User or Active Directory User or Group MS\Domain Admins on the Storage Virtual Machine " + $StorageVirtualMachineName + " from Local Group  BUILTIN\administrators.'")

$result=Invoke-NcSsh -ErrorAction Stop -Command $commandString
if ($result.Value.Contains("Error:"))
{
    $ErrorIndex=$result.Value.IndexOf("Error:")
    throw $result.Value.SubString($ErrorIndex)
}

CoryM

Thanks Olson! That got me down the right track. I had to use that along with a double backslash: 

#rsh [vfiler] cifs access [Share] " ' "Domain\\Domain Admins" ' " Full Control

I put the space between the double and single quotes only for better visibility here. The actual command had them right next to each other. 

Cheers!

PHILIPALBERT

Anyone been able to make it work with multiples blank spaces?

It's working with the quotes for a group name with a single space, but if I have multiple it's not.

Exemple:

Is working:

cifs users-and-groups local-group add-members -vserver MyVserver -group-name builtin\Users -member-names "MyDomain\Domain Users"

Is NOT working:

cifs users-and-groups local-group add-members -vserver MyVserver -group-name builtin\Users -member-names "NT AUTHORITY\Authentificated users"

Thanks

sinhaa

@PHILIPALBERT

Are you trying from WFA? If yes then use Powershell cmdlets instead of SSH using Invoke-NcSsh to get this done. Powershell cmdlets have great advantage over running SSH commands.

Make sure the user exists Else Create it. Example I have multiple spaces in name

New-NcCifsLocalUser -UserName 'abhi kumar sinha' -Password (ConvertTo-SecureString “Netapp1!” -AsPlainText -Force) -VserverContext test_vserver

Now Add this user to Builtin\Users group

Add-NcCifsLocalGroupMember -Name BUILTIN\Users -Member 'abhi kumar sinha' -VserverContext test_vserver

Now you can see all Groups and the members in it:

Get-NcCifsLocalGroupMember -Vserver test_vserver

sinhaa

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

PHILIPALBERT

Hi sinhaa,

I'm not using WFA or powershell, I was writing the command using ONTAP cli.

Public