Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Protection Manager mirror fails with "destination volume too small; it must be equal or larger than source volume"

reide

Running OnCommand Unified Manager 5.1 on Windows 2008 R2. I have two ONTAP 8.1.1 7-mode hosts configured.  Each host is used to create a different resoruce pool. 

1) I have established an OSSV relationship using a "Remote Backup" policy to one resource pool.  The provisioning policy enables on-demand Deduplication.  Everything works great here.

2) I copy & modify a "Backup, then Mirror" protection policy.  The primary data node is set to no-schedule since the primary is OSSV.  The backup schedule and retention is the exact same as the "Remote Backup" policy.  Finally, the "Backup to Mirror" schedule is once a night.

3) When I apply the custom "Backup, then Mirror" policy to my existing dataset, it passes all the Conformance Engine checks.  It auto-provisions the mirror volume from the other resource pool and attempts to establish the mirror relationship.  However, it always fails with the message, "destination volume too small; it must be equal or larger than the source volume."  Why does this step fail?

I did a volume status -c on both the SnapVault secondary vol and the mirror vol, and they're both block checksums.  I wasn't able to do a vol status -b on the mirror volume because its immediately restricted, and then gets deleted when PM rolls-back the mirror. 

Any ideas on why the mirror portion of this dataset fails?  I swear I have done this before with older versions of ONTAP and/or DFM. 

Thanks.

Reid

11 REPLIES 11
Public