Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Protection manager tuning

mcutler

I've been reading this doc "Operations Manager, Protection Manager, and Provisioning Manager Sizing Guide" and it recomends a number of tuning parameters for operations manager and protection manager but I don't see any specific instructions how to set these objects. This doc mentions, as example, to set

" dpmaxActiveDataTransfers=140 for all storage systems (use dfm host set)" but this doesn't seem to be an option with 'dfm host set'

Anyone know/have any additional information or can point me to some additional documentation?

Thanks

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

smoot

Hi Mike --

That option got added in 3.7, so you'd need to upgrade. I would have hoped the doc would have made clear what release it was talking about, but I guess not. I'll talk to the maintainer to see if we can get that updated.

-- Pete

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

smoot

Hi Mike --

I think there's a bug in the document. The actual option name is "maxActiveDataTransfers".

-- Pete Smoot, NetApp

mcutler

Thanks Pete,

It's not returning an error now, but it's also not returning - the CLI command that is. I'll do some investigating on this end, but I'm wondering if there's an advanced variation on the dfm CLI commands or something that would list the available objects. When I used 'dfm host help set' maxActiveDataTransfers was not one of the options. Even though it seems to be taking (or at least not erroring). How can I use the help to see _all_ the available objects?

Thanks again for weighing in.

Mike

mcutler

Pete,

Actually, I got my CLI troubles worked out and now I'm getting errors for that option as well:

dfm host set testfiler.foobar.com maxActiveDataTransfers=40

Error: maxActiveDataTransfers is not a valid option.

I'm running 3.6R2, the doc seemed to imply it was talking about the 3.6 branch but maybe it's only 3.7. Several of the other options also return the same error.

Any ideas?

Mike

smoot

Hi Mike --

That option got added in 3.7, so you'd need to upgrade. I would have hoped the doc would have made clear what release it was talking about, but I guess not. I'll talk to the maintainer to see if we can get that updated.

-- Pete

mcutler

Thanks Pete,

That was it. I upgraded to 3.7 this morning and the options are now available. Thanks for your insight. Please let the doc maintainer know though, that I have spent the last 4 hours trying to figure out what he/she is talking about. If you're going to write a technical document and make specific suggestions for performance changes, you need to be specific about what commands to run. Some of the options used dfpm, others use dfm, each with a missing subcommand to get to the options the document is referring to. Sorry to complain, but I'm frustrated at wasting time trying to read an authors mind.

Thanks again for all your help

Mike

Public